Can Means become the Orioles’ version of Kuechel?

Obando

I'm liking Means' demeanor on the mound. Looks real confident in his abilities. 

I've got a question though. Sorry if it's been asked already. Assuming he continues this way do the Orioles limit his innings for the season? I know he's pitched some pretty full minor league seasons already. Just wondering if there's risk of injury in subsequent seasons should they let him pitch until end of the season.

Just now, byrdz said:

I've got a question though. Sorry if it's been asked already. Assuming he continues this way do the Orioles limit his innings for the season? I know he's pitched some pretty full minor league seasons already. Just wondering if there's risk of injury in subsequent seasons should they let him pitch until end of the season.

The nice thing about 91 mph fastballs and 30% change ups is that they are pretty easy on the arm.  But I would guess so.  Practically every team ships every pitcher for a vacation stay on the IL at some point during the season.

33 minutes ago, byrdz said:

I doubt it’s much of a concern.    He threw 157 innings last year.   He’s on pace for 151 right now.   If he gets to a point where it looks like he might exceed 180, maybe you’d look at it.    I’d be thrilled to have that scenario arise.   

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

My apologies, for missing your earlier post.

It’s ok, @Can_of_corn has been picking on me & after my wife left me for my sister, I thought I had hit rock bottom, but then I saw you stealing my posts & I began to wonder if there was anything sacred in this world anymore. It’s been a rough day. 

That Paddack change is a unique looking pitch, that’s as good a change as I’ve seen that finishes within the zone, filthy. Before games began yesterday I decided to watch his start v Seattle & I had to load up on Paddy in dfs; unfortunately, I did not make as prudent a move in fading Cy Means. 

12 minutes ago, Hallas said:

It's pretty spectacular for him to gain almost 2 and a half ticks on his heater.  He touches 95 now apparently?  If he did that earlier in his career he would have been a top prospect.

Per BrooksBaseball, he topped out at 95.2 in one appearance, but the rest have been under 95 (including one 94.9 and one 94.7, the rest in the 93.6-94.3 range for the top).    Last year’s OH scouting report said he sits 90-92, can touch 93-94 on occasion.   For me, the development of his change-up is the big difference this year, more than any velocity increase.  Not that I’m complaining about getting a velocity bump.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per BrooksBaseball, he topped out at 95.2 in one appearance, but the rest have been under 95 (including one 94.9 and one 94.7, the rest in the 93.6-94.3 range for the top).    Last year’s OH scouting report said he sits 90-92, can touch 93-94 on occasion.   For me, the development of his change-up is the big difference this year, more than any velocity increase.  Not that I’m complaining about getting a velocity bump.

The K% & LD% v lefties are glorious through his first 18 outs v lhb. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ll go to my grave wondering what happened to Matusz.    

As to Means, we deserve a pleasant surprise.    

Me too. The experience of watching him rise and then fall off a cliff as a starter has definitely kept me cautious about putting hopes in a young pitcher. I feel like I wait at least a year and a half before setting serious expectations. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Two words - Brady Anderson

042812-brian-matusz-closeup.jpg

I’m not sure if you’re playing here.    Matusz’s horrible 2011 season was before he had any connection with Brady.    Then Brady tried to whip him into shape.    Didn’t work as well with Matusz as with some others, but what happened to Matusz predated Brady.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure if you’re playing here.    Matusz’s horrible 2011 season was before he had any connection with Brady.    Then Brady tried to whip him into shape.    Didn’t work as well with Matusz as with some others, but what happened to Matusz predated Brady.   

Thanks!  I was joking a bit but had not dug into his stats.  I now remember that Brady was gonna fix him but that was after the decline.  I stand corrected but the Brady name on his glove was interesting to say the least.  ?  I wish, like others, that it had worked out.  He was going to be the next Cole Hamels and Hamels is still around right?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm dying on the TTTP hill.

They fiddled with his delivery, he got hurt and was never the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm dying on the TTTP hill.

They fiddled with his delivery, he got hurt and was never the same.

Could be.    The irony is, the best Matusz ever pitched was in the stretch after Buck arrived in August/September 2010.    He had a 5.46 ERA when Buck arrived, then 2.11 in 11 starts under Buck.    You’d have thought they would have left him alone after that.