2019 11th round pick (318): Andrew Daschbach - CI - (JR) Stanford

FWIW Kiley McDaniel said in his chat on FG this afternoon it is "likely overslot".

He also had this on the (extinct?) Stanford swing:

1:11

romorr: Stowers and Maverick, any swing change now that they are away from Stanford?

1:12

Kiley McDaniel: Stanford isn’t a problem place for swings anymore. Well, any one swing could be bad but they aren’t blanket teaching dumb stuff anymore

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Last three seasons, Stanford has finished second, first and second in the PAC-12 standings (probably the best college baseball conference; maybe the SEC).  It's also possible they just happen to have a lot of good players.

They traditionally have had a pretty strong program.    During the draft era, they've produced 82 major leaguers, including one-time Orioles Mike Mussina, Rick Helling, Jeremy Guthrie, Jeffrey Hammonds, Drew Jackson, Pete Stanicek and Jeff Ballard.   Besides Mussina, their top alums include Jack McDowell, Bob Boone, Jed Lowrie, Steve Buechele, and Jason Castro (all 10.0+ rWAR, along with Mussina, Guthrie and Helling).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 2:04 PM, OrioleDog said:

FWIW Kiley McDaniel said in his chat on FG this afternoon it is "likely overslot".

He also had this on the (extinct?) Stanford swing:

1:11

romorr: Stowers and Maverick, any swing change now that they are away from Stanford?

1:12

Kiley McDaniel: Stanford isn’t a problem place for swings anymore. Well, any one swing could be bad but they aren’t blanket teaching dumb stuff anymore

Any update in the twitter universe about if he’s going to sign and what for?  1st pick of Day 3. Just like how Watson was the first pick of Day 2. Gotta think having a night to talk to them gave us a number that they would both sign for. 

We can offer him 125k. We have 340k of slot money left. It doesn’t seem like Watson will get full slot. We drafted two of Dashbach’s teammates. The 6th rd pick signed for 250k. Would 250k get this done?  Might be a reason he slipped to round 11. Dude can mash. I don’t care if he’s just a 1B. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Any update in the twitter universe about if he’s going to sign and what for?  1st pick of Day 3. Just like how Watson was the first pick of Day 2. Gotta think having a night to talk to them gave us a number that they would both sign for. 

We can offer him 125k. We have 340k of slot money left. It doesn’t seem like Watson will get full slot. We drafted two of Dashbach’s teammates. The 6th rd pick signed for 250k. Would 250k get this done?  Might be a reason he slipped to round 11. Dude can mash. I don’t care if he’s just a 1B. 

Connolly and Melewski both tweeted this morning that Elias is optimistic that the Orioles can sign Watson and Dashbach.  Connolly said the later HS picks will be more about monitoring than signability.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well we know we can offer him $465,500 without a penalty. That’s 4th/5th round money. 

If the Orioles want to sign Hammer(which I think they really do), I believe they are going to have to go above the $125K slot amount.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't get why it would take that much?  Does he think he do better next year as a senior sign?

Yeah, someone explain to me. Let’s say he doesn’t sign, goes back and has a great year, shows he’s like a top 70 talent, that’s slot of around a million. That’s best case for him I’d say. What does that get him as a senior with no leverage? What’s the precedent for a 2nd round senior sign? What’s the rule if he doesn’t sign, he sits out a year? Would anyone do that at his age?

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't get why it would take that much?  Does he think he do better next year as a senior sign?

Sometimes it depends on the financial situation of the family. Sometimes to these players it is worth it to go back to school for their senior year and knowingly sacrifice a good bit of money to do so. Sometimes the team has to pay enough to get the player to sacrifice his senior year. College is more than the degree and the money it would cost to get it. The college experience is worth something as well. If just money was involved in the decision, it would be an easy decision, but sometimes that is not the case.

Edited by jcarm

2 minutes ago, jcarm said:

Sometimes it depends on the financial situation of the family. Sometimes to these players it is worth it to go back to school for their senior year and knowingly sacrifice a good bit of money to do so. Sometimes the team has to pay enough to get the player to sacrifice his senior year. College is more than the degree and the money it would cost to get it. The college experience is worth something as well.

Sure, but it isn't as if you can't complete the degree.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but it isn't as if you can't complete the degree.

But going back to complete the degree is not the same as playing your senior year. The college experience would not be the same if/when they go back to complete their degree.