Chirs Davis per Mike Elias

Roll Tide

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see Davis being here in 2020.  I really can.

Not that I would agree with keeping him, but when you’re probably going to win 60 games next year, your .600 OPS first baseman isn’t really moving the needle much.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see Davis being here in 2020.  I really can.

I can't and based upon history it isn't likely  to happen. Boog Powell was released after hitting .215 and .244 his last two seasons. Harmon Killebrew was released after hitting .199.  

Unless Davis surges and finishes above .200 the Orioles will release him during the offseason.  There is no way they would keep  a first baseman who finishes below the Mendoza line for two years in a row.

38 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

I can't and based upon history it isn't likely  to happen. Boog Powell was released after hitting .215 and .244 his last two seasons. Harmon Killebrew was released after hitting .199.  

Unless Davis surges and finishes above .200 the Orioles will release him during the offseason.  There is no way they would keep  a first baseman who finishes below the Mendoza line for two years in a row.

Powell played his last two seasons with Cleveland and the Dodgers respectively with the last season comprising 53 AB.  Was he released or non-tendered for 1978 during his age 36 season?  Killebrew played his last season (age 39) with KC and was given 369 PA during that season.  Is there some point to suggesting that a 39 year-old ought to still be producing at peak level?  Anyway, If he didn't already have a contract for 1976 he wasn't released.

Davis has a guaranteed contract for the next three consecutive years (plus plenty additional) for what looks to be around a third of the Orioles projected payroll at least for 2020 and probably for 2021 as well.  That actually matters to the business side of baseball and to those who are on the hook for paying it, and as such they are entitled to being fully convinced that their investment is lost before they write it off.  Killebrew and Powell at the tail end of their careers have absolutely zero to do with the Davis situation.

The point is: Powell and Killebrew were released after failing to produce, and Powell  at age 35 which isn't that much older than Davis. 

I cannot think of  another first baseman who was retained after hitting less than .200 for two consecutive years.  Actually I can't think of any position  player at all.

Teams have given up on players with big contacts. Don Stanhouse left the Orioles for the Dodgers as a free agent.  the Dodgers gave up on him and sent him home, and payed his salary the last year and a half of his contract. (While Stanhouse's contract was a fraction of Davis', at the time Stanhouse was considered to be making a lot of money)

Edited by Maverick Hiker

58 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

The point is: Powell and Killebrew were released after failing to produce, and Powell  at age 35 which isn't that much older than Davis. 

I cannot think of  another first baseman who was retained after hitting less than .200 for two consecutive years.  Actually I can't think of any position  player at all.

Teams have given up on players with big contacts. Don Stanhouse left the Orioles for the Dodgers as a free agent.  the Dodgers gave up on him and sent him home, and payed his salary the last year and a half of his contract. (While Stanhouse's contract was a fraction of Davis', at the time Stanhouse was considered to be making a lot of money)

Stanhouse's contract was the largest in Dodgers team history?

19 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Your analogy machine isn't working too well! There are many more apt and recent examples, like Carl Crawford, Pablo Sandoval, and Prince Fielder.

12 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I expect he will be unless his spot on the 40-man roster is needed to protect a legitimate prospect.

I think you nailed it. I don't see him going anywhere until his spot on the 40-man roster is absolutely needed, which likely isn't going to happen anytime soon.

8 hours ago, LA2 said:

You'd be surprised at how quickly the price of two packs of cigs per appearance piles up!

That's right. Full Pack Stanhouse,

Stanhouse drove Weaver to distraction by his strategy of his walking batters he didn't want to face. Guess it  all caught up with Stanhouse  when he went to LA.

All teams have bad contracts. Sometimes you have to cut your losses. I'm hoping that if Davis does not improve over the remainder of the season, him and the club can come to some sort of agreement (short of them cutting him and still paying him every cent for the rest of his contract while he sits at home).  A buyout of some kind. 

22 hours ago, interloper said:

While I think most of Elias's quote is GM speak that we can't learn much from, the one aspect that DOES worry me is the inclusion of "he's under contract" which is a VERY Peter Angelos phrase. 

Well, even if we cut him, won't he still technically be under contract.  They aren't gonna get out of paying him, so.... 

I always thought with the money he has left he'd be here all year.  If the plan is 3 #1's (or high pick target), there is reason to work with him and put him out there.  He is helping secure a lower pick.  And if he does anything they get something out of the deal.  Spring is the next best window and I still have a feeling it's end of 2020 season.  He is already paid, so cutting doesn't save money.  Cutting him and getting someone else costs more money.  And they aren't looking to win right now.

Elias made a comment that every move would have long term evaluation as a priority.  Right now, cutting Davis doesn't help get high draft picks, doesn't save money and may cost service time to another player.  It does suck watching him swing at crappy pitches and watching balls down the middle of the plate (seriously, sometimes I really don't get his pitch selection).  At the same time, at this point he's helpful in securing a higher pick. 

Maybe silly justification, but it does put me at peace with it. 

• Upvote 1