Who is next?

mcloy

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Dude we're gonna get so many they're gonna have to open a 3rd DSL team. 

Villar should get at least 4.

Mancini? Shoot. You can get the whole lineup with just him. 

Givens maybe even get a 16 year old! 

Is this a Jeffrey Epstein discussion?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Is this a Jeffrey Epstein discussion?

Urgh.. no. Definitely not.  

And the fact that it could be taken that way, even as a joke, means I am deleting that post. 

But I do hope we continue to trade for more international youngsters because our chips aren't very good so I'd rather continue to stock up in that area instead of get middling minor leaguers. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

The Orioles will spend no money on 25 man roster players for the next three seasons. None that they are not required to. That is the plan. 

Then it will be a tough road.  I have commented previously that the Houston model had them increasing payroll $15 to $20 million a year through the rebuild.  A rebuild requires additions through all avenues.

6 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Then it will be a tough road.  I have commented previously that the Houston model had them increasing payroll $15 to $20 million a year through the rebuild.  A rebuild requires additions through all avenues.

I'd like to see them sign some guys in the off season mostly as good veteran leaders for the young guys (at positions that won't block people) and then try and flip any that are playing well enough to flip for literally anything at the deadline.

12 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The Astros also managed to cut payroll to a much lower level than the Orioles have.  In 2013 they were at 22M. 

57 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Paying Villar would $6-7 million would be a complete waste of money. He's a poor defender and medicore hitter.If you're looking for a comp, he's a worse player than Howie Kendrick who can't even seem to get regular ABs unless someone is injured. If the Orioles can find someone to take Villar (I have my doubts) they should trade him. And if they don't they should let him walk. They'd be better off signing someone like Josh Harrison or Neil Walk or half the price if they need a stopgap. 

He’s not a poor defender at 2B. His numbers are hurt by being forced to play him at SS because Martin has no bat.

Im sick of hearing that our players are worthless because the Os are forced to play them out of position.

If you trade Mancini as an OF his defensive value hurts him. So you trade him as a 1B because that’s what he’s been his whole career. Obviously the Orioles have played him out of position because or Davis.

On the same note, you don’t trade for Villar  to play SS. His fielding percentage is 40-50 points higher at 2B

As I mentioned, he’s a hustle player. You act like he has no value.  Which is just wrong. I believe Elias would like to trade him. I stand bye my position that he’s not going to just dump him. So again, no chance they nontender him.

1 hour ago, weams said:

The Orioles will spend no money on 25 man roster players for the next three seasons. None that they are not required to. That is the plan. 

They won’t just cut assets to save money. Who have they done that with this far.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Plus team speed is not a cool thing anymore. Except on defense. And he is really not a defensive wiz. 

Again, nearly half his starts are at SS. He is a lesser defender at SS. 

Also, I don’t like watching him get picked off. And yes the mistakes piss me off as well. But he’s better to watch than Martin and to a lesser extent Ruiz at the plate 3-4 times per night.

I’m not pretending he’s a superstar. But he’s far from worthless.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

They won’t just cut assets to save money. Who have they done that with this far.

Also, I don’t like watching him get picked off. And yes the mistakes piss me off as well. But he’s better to watch than Martin and to a lesser extent Ruiz at the plate 3-4 times per night.

They traded Brach for 1/3 of Jack Zoellner.

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s not a poor defender at 2B. His numbers are hurt by being forced to play him at SS because Martin has no bat.

Im sick of hearing that our players are worthless because the Os are forced to play them out of position.

If you trade Mancini as an OF his defensive value hurts him. So you trade him as a 1B because that’s what he’s been his whole career. Obviously the Orioles have played him out of position because or Davis.

On the same note, you don’t trade for Villar  to play SS. His fielding percentage is 40-50 points higher at 2B

As I mentioned, he’s a hustle player. You act like he has no value.  Which is just wrong. I believe Elias would like to trade him. I stand bye my position that he’s not going to just dump him. So again, no chance they nontender him.

Ok, let's look at the contending teams. Tell me who he'd start over? I count one team (the A's) that "might" consider him a middle infield upgrade. So while you may think Villar is a valuable player in teh context of the other 2B and SS' in the league he really isn't, 

Yankees - LeMahieu / Torres

Red Sox - Chavis / Bogaerts

Rays - Lowe / Adames or Wendle

Twins - Schoop / Polanco

Indians - Kipnis / Lindor

Astros - Altuve / Correa

A's - Barreto / Semien

Rangers - Odor / Andrus

Braves - Albies / Swanson

Nationals - Dozier or Kendrick / Turner

Phillies - Hernandez / Segura

Cubs - Russell / Baez

Cardinals - Wong / DeJong

Brewers - Hiura / Arcia

Dodgers - Muncy / Seager

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Trading O'Day was  complete salary dump. 

20 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ok, let's look at the contending teams. Tell me who he'd start over? I count one team (the A's) that "might" consider him a middle infield upgrade. So while you may think Villar is a valuable player in teh context of the other 2B and SS' in the league he really isn't, 

Twins - Schoop / Polanco

Astros - Altuve / Correa

A's - Barreto / Semien

Rangers - Odor / Andrus

Cubs - Russell / Baez

Brewers - Hiura / Arcia

Dodgers - Muncy / Seager

I don’t think any contender is looking at him as a “starter”, but more like a vet Middle Infielder. He also he is SH and can run. He’d be a valuable bench piece. Everyone is sure-ing up their benches for a run. Hopefully, we can pay his salary and get back something similar to what we got back in the Cashner trade. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Twins - Schoop / Polanco

Astros - Altuve / Correa

A's - Barreto / Semien

Rangers - Odor / Andrus

Cubs - Russell / Baez

Brewers - Hiura / Arcia

Dodgers - Muncy / Seager

This is pretty tough to argue against. I even checked out the Pirates and Diamondbacks and yeah, I'm not sure Villar makes much sense there either. 

I agree that he probably wouldn't be viewed as a starter, but more of a bench/utility guy. 

It may take an injury somewhere though in the next couple of weeks. Especially since he's going to be sort of expensive next year for a bench guy. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is pretty tough to argue against. I even checked out the Pirates and Diamondbacks and yeah, I'm not sure Villar makes much sense there either. 

I agree that he probably wouldn't be viewed as a starter, but more of a bench/utility guy. 

It may take an injury somewhere though in the next couple of weeks. Especially since he's going to be sort of expensive next year for a bench guy. 

Exactly. And I don't see teams paying a pretty penny for  a bench/utility guy unless, as you said, they're desperate and have a late season injury. Even if they do let's look at some of the other possible available 2B and see where Villar ranks. 

Royals - Might be willing to trade Merrifield. He's under contract through 2023, but his salary is pretty reasonable. 

Mariners - Probably willing to trade Gordon. Under contract through 2021. Mariner's would probably have to eat some of his contract though. 

Reds - Probably willing to trade Gennett if that fall out of contention. Free agent after this season so probably the most appealing of the bunch. 

Rockies - Have a glut at 2B. McMahon, Hamspon, and Murphy are probably all available. Hamspon and McMahon are still on rookie contracts. Murphy would be less appealing because he's old and under contract through 2022. 

I could also see the Rays shopping Joey Wendle to fill other needs. 

I'd say with the exception of Gordon and Murphy (and only because of their contracts/salaries) all of these players would be better options for teams than Villar.