Must Read: Review of the Baysox rotation

Frobby

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think they all spend some time at AAA and I agree they will not be promoted until Elias judges they are ready.   But Elias may judge some of them ready  sometime in 2020. 

It's possible, but at the same time, there's no reason not to give those pitchers a full year of development at Norfolk before bringing them up. I think 2021 is when the pitching will really get interesting. Now, Akin is a guy we could see next year if he can get himself together. This is the last year of 40 man rosters in September, so he may get a look then as well as Hays and Mountcastle who I expect to be competing for a spot on the roster in ST next season.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Sessh said:

It's possible, but at the same time, there's no reason not to give those pitchers a full year of development at Norfolk before bringing them up.

There's some reason.  As alluded to previously in the thread there is the whole WWI flying ace-level of attrition among young pitchers, so the longer you leave them in the minors the fewer innings you'll likely get from them in the majors.

37 minutes ago, Sessh said:

It's possible, but at the same time, there's no reason not to give those pitchers a full year of development at Norfolk before bringing them up. I think 2021 is when the pitching will really get interesting. Now, Akin is a guy we could see next year if he can get himself together. This is the last year of 40 man rosters in September, so he may get a look then as well as Hays and Mountcastle who I expect to be competing for a spot on the roster in ST next season.

I don't think we see Akin, Hays or Mountcastle in 2019.

22 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don't see any reason not to call Akin up this season.

You want reasons. I will give you reasons.

1) 4.36 ERA at AAA.  

2) 1.49 WHIP at AAA.

3) 6.14 ERA  vs lefties at AAA

4) 1.77 WHIP vs lefties at AAA 

5) Elias is not a big believer.  Didn't invite him to ST.

6) Service time

He is not ready for the majors yet.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Thanks Tony.   If it based on need Elias may promote them as soon as they show well at AAA.

What do you think about Sedlock?  When and if do you think Elias has him in the majors?

I still think Sedlock has some hoops to overcome before he's in the majors. When and if he can do that, it will be after he shows that he can consistently get out AAA hitters.

47 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Has Akin been skipped over in prospect status by these 3? Akin very easily could be called up sometime next year. 

I just watched Akin throw on Sunday and it was the best I've seen him throw. He was garnering swing and misses with his fastball, slider, and particularly his change against righties. He pitched well enough that if he can pitch like that more often than not, I think he can stick as a back of the rotation starter with #3 upside if he can command consistently.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I still think Sedlock has some hoops to overcome before he's in the majors. When and if he can do that, it will be after he shows that he can consistently get out AAA hitters.

All the pitchers we have talked about are probably going to have to show they can get AAA hitters out before they are called up.   However, I think I see the concern that he may not be a major leaguer in your post.

Just now, wildcard said:

All the pitchers we have talked about are probably going to have to show they can get AAA hitters out before they are called up.   However, I think I see the concern that he may not be a major leaguer in your post.

Is there a point to all this urgent questioning? Are you building towards something? All these guys are kind of fringey mid-rotation upside guys. I'm not sure I see what the big deal is. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Is there a point to all this urgent questioning? Are you building towards something? All these guys are kind of fringey mid-rotation upside guys. I'm not sure I see what the big deal is. 

If the O's add Mountcastle to this offense they probably have a league average offense.   The question is when will the pitching be good enough to make the O's a league average team.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You want reasons. I will give you reasons.

1) 4.36 ERA at AAA.  

2) 1.49 WHIP at AAA.

3) 6.14 ERA  vs lefties at AAA

4) 1.77 WHIP vs lefties at AAA 

5) Elias is not a big believer.  Didn't invite him to ST.

6) Service time

He is not ready for the majors yet.

Cool. None of those are reasons not to call him up. 

And if you think #’s 1-5 are reasons, why would you care about #6?

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Cool. None of those are reasons not to call him up. 

And if you think #’s 1-5 are reasons, why would you care about #6?

I didn't say he would never be ready for the majors.  Just that the numbers don't show that he is ready yet.  JMO.

Archived