Brady Anderson leaving organization

eddie83

I think it's very obvious that phase 2 (or whatever) of Elias really taking over this franchise is happening now. Brady being gone really says to me that there's a single voice below ownership that matters, and it's Elias. That's great news. 

I understand the Davis angst, but I really don't care about it. There is a plan for Davis. We can guess what it is, but I'm pretty certain the plan isn't to continue running a negative WAR player out there just because of his contract. I'd hope he's gone in time for the 40 man roster machinations and Rule V draft. If not, I assume it'll be during spring training, as it seems to have been indicated. Either way, I think he's as good as gone and that'll be really refreshing for the org.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think it's very obvious that phase 2 (or whatever) of Elias really taking over this franchise is happening now. Brady being gone really says to me that there's a single voice below ownership that matters, and it's Elias. That's great news. 

I understand the Davis angst, but I really don't care about it. There is a plan for Davis. We can guess what it is, but I'm pretty certain the plan isn't to continue running a negative WAR player out there just because of his contract. I'd hope he's gone in time for the 40 man roster machinations and Rule V draft. If not, I assume it'll be during spring training, as it seems to have been indicated. Either way, I think he's as good as gone and that'll be really refreshing for the org.

Elias has basically said that Davis is going to stick around at least until spring training 2020 guaranteed.

I admit I am a bit concerned he might make the Opening Day roster.   We also know how little Elias cares about Spring Training stats.    I can't imagine Davis finishes the 2020 season as an Oriole at this rate...............but I wouldn't bet money on it anymore unfortunately.

1 hour ago, theocean said:

I'd assume Elias at least wants to do his due diligence and see how Davis looks in 2020 with a full offseason under his watch. I'd assume that Elias and his team are probably making some demands on Davis in regard to his offseason training program. Since Elias was hired late last year, I'd guess that he and his team weren't able to do that last offseason.

Which, I think is the right move. If nothing changes and they keep putting Davis in the lineup through the end of his contract just because he's owed money- that's a bad move. But, I think it's smart for Elias to at least see if his staff can do something productive with Davis. If he struggles and looks the same early next year, I'd expect they'd part ways.

That is certainly what he's going to say publicly. If Elias really thinks he has some secret sauce that is going to make Davis good again, then he is a wizard, or he's pulling a Brian Billick and thinks he can improve anyone.

He had all last season off season to reach out to Davis. Davis is not exactly known for his adjustments or for trying new things. Davis is done and any effort that takes away from players that may be part of a winning Orioles team is effort wasted.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That is certainly what he's going to say publicly. If Elias really thinks he has some secret sauce that is going to make Davis good again, then he is a wizard, or he's pulling a Brian Billick and thinks he can improve anyone.

He had all last season off season to reach out to Davis. Davis is not exactly known for his adjustments or for trying new things. Davis is done and any effort that takes away from players that may be part of a winning Orioles team is effort wasted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Conte

Victor Conte is the former bassist with Tower of Power and the founder and president of Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative (BALCO)

This is the only way I could guess to improve Chris Davis. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Elias has basically said that Davis is going to stick around at least until spring training 2020 guaranteed.

I admit I am a bit concerned he might make the Opening Day roster.   We also know how little Elias cares about Spring Training stats.    I can't imagine Davis finishes the 2020 season as an Oriole at this rate...............but I wouldn't bet money on it anymore unfortunately.

Yeah. I'm just assuming Davis will humiliate himself in Spring Training, again, and that will be the last straw. I suppose they may even leave him on the team long enough to give an excuse to delay Mountcastle's promotion. 

Either way, he's not part of the future. Everyone knows that. What's happening up and down this organization is so much more important. His ugly presence is really not all that important in the grand scheme of things, though it'll be a nice symbolic victory when he is formally jettisoned. 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Do you think next season is meaningful for the Os in terms of building a winning team, and that Davis could be a detriment to that?  This season almost certainly didnt matter, but the situation becomes more muddy next year as more prospects become ready.  That said I’m not convinced that the Os will be close enough next year for it to matter.

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

They already are deep in the hiring process from adding a couple of area scouts as well having conducted multiple interviews with some candidates. 

Luke, where did you see that they have already hired a couple of area scouts?  I haven’t seen that reported anywhere, but maybe I missed it.  The only new addition I’ve seen reported so far is Matt Blood, and otherwise just some promotions &/or new titles for existing baseball ops staffers.

Just now, Obando said:

Luke, where did you see that they have already hired a couple of area scouts?  I haven’t seen that reported anywhere, but maybe I missed it.  The only new addition I’ve seen reported so far is Matt Blood, and otherwise just some promotions &/or new titles for existing baseball ops staffers.

They haven't made the hires yet or at least haven't announced them yet, but they've held multiple rounds of interviews so it's coming. I know about it from someone who is a candidate. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Do you think next season is meaningful for the Os in terms of building a winning team, and that Davis could be a detriment to that?  This season almost certainly didnt matter, but the situation becomes more muddy next year as more prospects become ready.  That said I’m not convinced that the Os will be close enough next year for it to matter.

It's not that i think next year matters all that much, but I don't see a reason to keep a player on the team that is not part of the future or can be turned into part of the future with a trade. Cobb, Villar and maybe Givens are players I would consider keeping around because they may be able to be traded. 

Plus, by mid-late April, Santander, Hays, Mountcastle, Nunez and Mancini all need to have places to play and perhaps Stewart. Do we really want to keep Davis on the bench like he is now? 

Is it the end of the world if he is, no, but it will be disappointing not to be able to finally turn the page.

59 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

They haven't made the hires yet or at least haven't announced them yet, but they've held multiple rounds of interviews so it's coming. I know about it from someone who is a candidate. 

Got it, thanks.  Do you have any interest in applying for a scouting position with the O’s?  I would think that has to be somewhat appealing to you, especially since you are well-versed in modern scouting that combines qualitative with quantitative analysis, which fits the type of scout that Elias is looking to hire.

9 minutes ago, Obando said:

Got it, thanks.  Do you have any interest in applying for a scouting position with the O’s?  I would think that has to be somewhat appealing to you, especially since you are well-versed in modern scouting that combines qualitative with quantitative analysis, which fits the type of scout that Elias is looking to hire.

Scouting doesn't pay well.

• Haha 1