Orioles trading Bundy?

Legend_Of_Joey

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That's a really interesting idea, I wouldn't think Bundy is worth Urias, but with the return SD got for him, he's not being valued as a 55 FV prospect, so maybe. 

This feels like a popcorn ready afternoon.  The Brewers deal is to dominate with their bullpen, but they need at least a couple 150 inning sponges to get to September (their style will be cramped by the new roster rules next year).  They were already thin on sponges behind Woodruff, and sending Davies out makes it worse.  I have in the last few minutes learned Eric Lauer has been more of a steady innings guy than I realize, but from Milwaukee's standpoint, there's still the Hiura/Urias puzzle.

The Brewers-Padres deal really adds intrigue to both Villar to SD and Bundy to MIL scenarios.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Intellectually, I understand the case for trading Bundy, and I’m fine with it so long as the return is fair and advances our long term goals.   

Emotionally, this would sadden me.   I’ve followed Bundy through all the ups and downs for 8+ years.   The excitement during his first year in the minors, the crushing news of his first injury and repeated frustrations of his subsequent ones, and the many highs and lows since he made it back to the majors in 2016.    I’ve always liked his stoic personality and his resourcefulness as a pitcher.    I’d miss watching him and following him game to game.  

I repped this post because I agree with the sentiment. 

On the other hand, my stupid Redskins are paying over $60 million this year for guys not playing. They're an extreme case of bad and stupid, but I'd rather have the mindset of getting rid of expensive but only mildly productive players rather than continuing to sink millions into keeping them out of a misguided personal affection, poor player evaluation or wishful thinking.

If I were an owner, I'd value a GM who was much more efficient on salaries. That's real money. 

Scanning Roster Resource, their first stab is Orlando Arcia just lost his job.  I could see that - Tatis's star pushed Urias off SS, and this could just be the market acknowledging Urias can be a starting SS.  That would pump the brakes on exciting Oriole scenarios (Luis Urias has been one of my poster children for the best 2022 and on piece we might get with what 2020 players we have), but Thanksgiving Eve adds some spice to the next 8 hours or so.  I figure the game will take its traditional break for a couple few days starting tonight, so whatever stuff may have been in the works should get sorted out today.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Scanning Roster Resource, their first stab is Orlando Arcia just lost his job.  I could see that - Tatis's star pushed Urias off SS, and this could just be the market acknowledging Urias can be a starting SS.  That would pump the brakes on exciting Oriole scenarios (Luis Urias has been one of my poster children for the best 2022 and on piece we might get with what 2020 players we have), but Thanksgiving Eve adds some spice to the next 8 hours or so.  I figure the game will take its traditional break for a couple few days starting tonight, so whatever stuff may have been in the works should get sorted out today.

I think you've got it figured out.

In Urias, the Brewers are acquiring a versatile defender and a potential alternative for underperforming shortstop Orlando Arcia, who is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter and whose status will be clearer following Monday’s tender deadline. If the Brewers opt to keep Arcia, he would have to compete for the job with Urias, who can also play second and third base. Second is occupied in Milwaukee by hitting star Keston Hiura, but third base is a question mark, with arbitration-eligible Travis Shaw in a situation similar to Arcia's as Monday’s tender deadline approaches.

https://www.mlb.com/news/padres-get-trent-grisham-from-brewers-for-luis-urias

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Emotionally, this would sadden me.   I’ve followed Bundy through all the ups and downs for 8+ years.  

When he was drafted I was very excited about Bundy but his injuries and lack of #1 success faded his star for me. I’ve always appreciated his good starts but his pedigree demanded more of those. 

Unfortunately my most recent memory was of him giving up on a play at the plate that he was supposed to be covering. I don’t know if the FO is reactionary like that but that couldn’t have gone over well at the time.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

On the other hand, my stupid Redskins are paying over $60 million this year for guys not playing. They're an extreme case of bad and stupid, but I'd rather have the mindset of getting rid of expensive but only mildly productive players rather than continuing to sink millions into keeping them out of a misguided personal affection, poor player evaluation or wishful thinking.

If I were an owner, I'd value a GM who was much more efficient on salaries. That's real money. 

I wouldn’t call Bundy expensive.    MLBTR is estimating $5.7 mm.    He’s probably worth double that or more on the open market.    It’s precisely the reason he has some trade value.   

To me it’s mostly a timing question.     We’re not going to be good the next two years while Bundy is under team control, so why not use him to acquire some players we’ll still control in 2022 and beyond?

17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Not wanting to rerail this Bundy thread.

But your point about the Redskins, needs to be into better context.

Alex Smith and Trent Williams account for 34 million of that dead cap. Yes, you could argue given that money to Cousins and he would still be playing, but you really can not account for injuries, and in Trent's case, non football injury issues.

Jordan and Davis are out because of concussions, again, injuries and that that 15 more million.

That not extreme bad or stupid. IMO

It is very unfortunate set of circumstances.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

You have to wonder what the original tweet actually means. Are the O's working with multiple teams and about to settle on the best offer? Have they agreed in principal, with physicals to come? Is it done and they're just notifying all of the various players moving back and forth? If it's not one of those three scenarios, is it just speculation?

It seems that that there’s a specific team and a specific offer involved and it has progressed enough to justify the tweet, but not far enough to justify any additional details.

If there isn’t anything of value coming back I really don’t see the need to trade him. Someone needs to pitch here and even if he is terrible, I prefer Bundy over whatever crap Elias is going to bring around. I hate watching nobody SP who don’t belong on an MLB club pitch just because there is no one else. At least there is some kind of history to root for a guy like Bundy. 

And to be honest, if we saw anything of value coming back for Bundy I would be legitimately surprised. I expect a couple low level non prospects and that would be disheartening.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Intellectually, I understand the case for trading Bundy, and I’m fine with it so long as the return is fair and advances our long term goals.   

Emotionally, this would sadden me.   I’ve followed Bundy through all the ups and downs for 8+ years.   The excitement during his first year in the minors, the crushing news of his first injury and repeated frustrations of his subsequent ones, and the many highs and lows since he made it back to the majors in 2016.    I’ve always liked his stoic personality and his resourcefulness as a pitcher.    I’d miss watching him and following him game to game.  

I have season tickets and prefer to watch Major League quality pitchers. Last year, Bundy and Means were the only starters that cleared that low bar (and Cashner before he was traded). If they get decent prospects in return and we end up giving guys like Akin, Wells and Kramer a chance in the rotation, I will be grudgingly ok with it. If it is a glorified salary dump I will not be pleased.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Assume we'll get back a non-40 man guy almost no matter what. Don't really know. Money saved will probably be largest return.

That would be extremely disappointing. The salary owed is negligible. 

Given the state of our farm, and at least two pitchers MLB-ready or close enough to it, I think we’d target an MLB-ready middle infielder.