Calling Elias incompetent is unfair

wildcard

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are a lot of people calling Elias incompetent?    Criticizing the Villar move and calling the GM incompetent are two different things.   

No ...I called him a Buffoon!

I haven't seen him doing anything so far that couldn't have been done by the previous group.

He made no international signings of note, he got nothing done at the deadline except Cashner for scraps, and now Villar for nothing!

Call me unimpressed!

• Upvote 1

This is a tough sell for a fan base that’s forced to swallow 100-loss seasons until the new regime completes its teardown and rebuild. A complete redesign of the organization. But unpopular moves are in the blueprint, whether it’s firing long-time scouts and instructors or cutting ties with one of the best players on the team.

A player who put the Orioles on the winning side of the Jonathan Schoop trade with the Brewers.

Remember that you were warned about it being ugly before it gets better.

If wins don’t matter right now, neither do style points.

Here's Roch's take

Which is just plain stupid!

Nobody would care if Villar was traded for prospects.

Its Elias inability to get anything of value for our best player!  THATS INCOMPETENT!

Its dumping your most valuable player for nothing to save the $10 million that you want pull out of the safe later.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Here's Roch's take

Which is just plain stupid!

Nobody would care if Villar was traded for prospects.

Its Elias inability to get anything of value for our best player!  THATS INCOMPETENT!

Its dumping your most valuable player for nothing to save the $10 million that you want pull out of the safe later.

Frobby,  there is your answer.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

YEP

And your defending him here

Name one worth while personnel move that he's made in over a year. Can you?

I don't think he's earned the benefit of the doubt.

This is a horrible move!

If you are talking about major league personnel moves, there’s not much to write home about.   Acquiring Hanser Alberto off waivers probably tops the list.    

But that’s not really what I’m expecting of Elias at this point, or how I’m judging him.   Unlike you, I do think he made very solid progress on the international front, but Rome wasn’t built in a day.    I like what he’s been doing in drafting and development.    Bottom line, I intend to be patient.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

If you are talking about major league personnel moves, there’s not much to write home about.   Acquiring Hanser Alberto off waivers probably tops the list.    

But that’s not really what I’m expecting of Elias at this point, or how I’m judging him.   Unlike you, I do think he made very solid progress on the international front, but Rome wasn’t built in a day.    I like what he’s been doing in drafting and development.    Bottom line, I intend to be patient.   

noted thanks for the input! I respect your opinion. Maybe he's better suited to be a personnel director and not an MLB GM.

Thats certainly possible

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

We know he had offers at the deadline through Roch. Just not a deal he liked, but I'm sure that was better than dumping him for nothing.

So you would have been good with taking virtually nothing in a prospect return in July?

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Just because he didnt like the return that doesn't mean it was "virtually nothing". He's traded a deal or deals that he didn't like for zero!

But we don't know what the offer was, right? I understand your point. You've been real clear. But my point is we don't know what was on the table. It strikes me as unfair to call someone a buffoon for not making a deal when we don't know what, if any, deal was on the table.

Maybe your position proves accurate over time. I don't think it will. 

But it seems unfair to call someone a buffoon or incompetent when we don't know details. I understand that you disagree. Happy Thanksgiving.

• Upvote 1