Fangraphs’ Longenhagen looks at Akin, Kremer, Mountcastle, Harvey and Urías

Frobby

Credit to Can_of_corn, who posted this link in one of the Minors forum links.    I thought it deserved some play here, since it discusses players who have had their major league debut but haven’t lost rookie status.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/keeping-up-with-the-al-easts-prospects/

Pretty optimistic take on our guys.   I was a bit surprised to see Urías mentioned, but here’s his writeup:

“I buy that second baseman Ramón Urías has above-average feel to hit that makes him an above-replacement player with some sneaky trade value. Even at age 26, Urías has some roster flexibility thanks to two remaining option years and a service time clock that just started. He’s not a good defender and doesn’t have much power, but he puts the bat head on the ball consistently and can play second base, though not especially well. He’d be an interesting, small-trade depth target for a contender this winter, similar to Mark Mathias last year.”

That was a good quick read. 

It’s looking like Alberto will be traded or non-tendered. There’s just no need to pay him anything over the minimum with the 2021 team because we Valaika, and Urias, that could provide similar production. 

Kremer and Akin will be in the rotation from OD. They’ll be given every shot to keep their spots. Cobb, Means, Akin, Kremer is the best rotation going into a season we’ve had in a longtime. Of course it could all fall apart. 

Harvey is a back end arm. Tate is looking like at least a valuable middle reliever. 

The thing I like the most about Tate, Harvey, Kremer, and Akin is that combined they only gave up 6HR in 63IP. So they weren’t getting by on smoke and mirrors.  

2 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I prefer the Andino/Flaherty mold of flexible, glove-first utility guys, but it's nice to read that about Urias. I wonder if he'll make the team over Valaika next year.

With a 26 man roster you don’t need that true utility guy. I’m thinking to start 2021 that,

2B - Valaika

3B - Ruiz

Util - Velazquez(too much flexibility and speed)

Back up 2B/3B - Urias

AAA - Martin, Bannon(DFA?)

Traded/Non tendered - Alberto

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2020-in-season-prospect-list/farm-ranking?sort=-1,1&type=100&filter=&pos=&team=

THE BOARD now has BAL in a 9/10/11/12 tier at $255M in value give or take 5 either way, along with SEA/MIN/TOR.  Everyone else $273 and up, or $232  and down.

The 40+ to 45 grade bumps for both SP only moved them individually from $3M to $4M.   This was my first time seeing the big spike in FG estimations when reaching the 50 FV level - I guess its perspective is, very broadly speaking, you are worthwhile or worthless.

Among 45's, Longenhangen, bullish on Vavra, still has him ahead of both Akin/Kremer.

He drops Baumann behind Akin, but still ahead of Kremer, and also has Kremer/Yusniel the "last" of the 45's, behind even Westburg/Stowers.

18 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2020-in-season-prospect-list/farm-ranking?sort=-1,1&type=100&filter=&pos=&team=

THE BOARD now has BAL in a 9/10/11/12 tier at $255M in value give or take 5 either way, along with SEA/MIN/TOR.  Everyone else $273 and up, or $232  and down.

The 40+ to 45 grade bumps for both SP only moved them individually from $3M to $4M.   This was my first time seeing the big spike in FG estimations when reaching the 50 FV level - I guess its perspective is, very broadly speaking, you are worthwhile or worthless.

Among 45's, Longenhangen, bullish on Vavra, still has him ahead of both Akin/Kremer.

He drops Baumann behind Akin, but still ahead of Kremer, and also has Kremer/Yusniel the "last" of the 45's, behind even Westburg/Stowers.

I like Kremer a bit more than Akin.   Akin’s stuff is not quite as good, but he’s more deceptive.   But deception wears down as hitters become more looks.    Give me Kremer for the long run.   I like both, though.  

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

The back end of the list expanded a lot over the season.  Headed in the right direction, very encouraging.