ALL TEAMS TOP 30 PLAYERS NOT PROTECTED FOR THE RULE 5

Roll Tide

7 hours ago, jerios55 said:

I see an Astro that can play infield (3B).  Can't we already send the card to the podium.

Honestly, I think Kramer is the best bet.I don’t think taking a player like Diaz or a player like Santana who hasn’t played above Short season A. 

Being forced to keep Davis again leaves the Os short already and taking another player who’s not ready and will likely struggle mightily at the plate doesn’t make sense. 

According to MLB.com Santana ranks 45/45/45 in run field and arm. He over performed with the bat early but hit .267 /.337 /.329 in 2019. I can’t see how he would stick.

As for Diaz,  he hit .264/.307/.430 ....He’d likely be worse than Ruiz.

Yammering about the rule five is my favorite part of the off-season. I wonder who we might lose? I don’t think anybody’s going to take Sedlock, and if they do, I highly doubt they would keep him. We’ve already discussed pop, but I wonder if there any guys in the system who are on the radars of other teams?

Unprotected top 30 guys are of course the first place to look, but they are definitely not the only place to look.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Kudos ... I was just going to post this!

17. Tyler Zombro, RHP, Rays

The Rays seem as taken with vertical and horizontal approach angles as any organization in the league. A team wanting in on that sweet, sweet deceptive action could do worse than snatching up Zombro, a lower-slot right-hander who relies on a low-90s sinker and a slider. He seems unlikely to develop into more than a middle-relief type, at best, but he has a track record of success and he appears to be a total pitching nerd, which is always a plus.

I like this guy a bit! Sinking fastball in the low 90s and a good slider.

************ Also Pop was mentioned! Hope he flies under the radar.****

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Kudos ... I was just going to post this!

I like this guy a bit! Sinking fastball in the low 90s and a good slider.

************ Also Pop was mentioned! Hope he flies under the radar.****

Have to think if they want a position player that would have to be their first pick. Two arms or one arm/ one MI or 3B.  

Side note. This has got to be long week for Moose. I’m sure he can barely sleep waiting to see who we take on Thursday. 

On 11/27/2020 at 6:48 AM, Roll Tide said:

As for Diaz,  he hit .264/.307/.430 ....He’d likely be worse than Ruiz.

You really need to take into account that the Eastern League was extremely pitcher-friendly in 2019 - the average slash line there was .238/.311/.366.    There is little doubt in my mind that Diaz will be a better major league hitter than Ruiz.    That doesn’t mean that I don’t want to see him perform in AAA, however.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You really need to take into account that the Eastern League was extremely pitcher-friendly in 2019 - the average slash line there was .238/.311/.366.    There is little doubt in my mind that Diaz will be a better major league hitter than Ruiz.    That doesn’t mean that I don’t want to see him perform in AAA, however.   

Thanks ..... Yeah the only thing I usually take into consideration is the PCL. I'd take him for upside over playing someone like Sanchez

Sedlock was a former highly-ranked prospect and a rare college arm with little exposure and therefore substantial development needs. He’s been fairly mediocre but perhaps focusing on just his fastball and one breaking pitch will help. That’s going to be a common theme here — Little had his comeback from injury interrupted by the pandemic and has non-horrible command. Dibrell was horrendous when moving up to Double-A but decent before, could be a junkball reliever. Parkinson is a guy in the Sean Gilmartin vein but has done it as a starter so far, not exactly a prototypical relief candidate.

Relief-y guy

https://www.talkingchop.com/2020/12/4/22152365/the-2020-rule-5-draft-names-targets-atlanta-braves

GRADE 70 Fastball

Tampa Bay’s prospect-focused approach means the club has an almost perpetual roster crunch. This year, as usual, there is a passel of intriguing arms who got left off the 40-man. RHP Joel Peguero is 23 and hasn’t pitched above A ball, but he has a 70-grade fastball that regularly hangs out in the triple digits with an above-average slider. He has the typical command issues that come with this profile and Tampa Bay kept him stashed in A ball in 2019 (maybe anticipating hiding him from prying Rule 5 eyes), but he clearly overmatched opponents in the Midwest League despite middling strikeout numbers. Peguero lands just outside the Rays’ Top 30 prospects on FanGraphs. He has some experience pitching in the ABL, where his triple-digit fastball caught local media attention:

I'd take a guy like this and play the roster hiding game

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2020/12/1/21735997/possible-mariners-rule-5-targets-for-2020-basically-the-entire-montgomery-biscuits-roster