ALL TEAMS TOP 30 PLAYERS NOT PROTECTED FOR THE RULE 5

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The basic question I would think is does Elias believe any of of these players can provide solid defense at SS or 3rd next year?  And if he does is that a better choice than an arm who while flawed has an upside that could be valuable when the team is ready to win. 

No doubt long shots either way.  

Yeah ... It depends on the strategy! You are hoping to get a player in the rule 5 that you can add to the core then you'd select. If you are looking for a sign and trade this is obviously not your course of action. I don't think we have anything to lose as obviously our goal is to lose and continuing to amass talent per Elias interview and recent action.

I would not be opposed to the Orioles taking a couple guys, ideally one infielder and one pitcher and see if they make sense as a bullpen and bench stash with enough skills to be useful. I think Omar Estevez is my pick on the infield but there are a few pitching options that are at least somewhat interesting.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Historically several teams don't participate or have full 40 man rosters.

Is there a place to see which teams are full up already?

Wouldn’t really matter! For example, Team A has a full 40 man roster and they want to select a player. They simply DFA a guy to take a rule 5.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Wouldn’t really matter! For example, Team A has a full 40 man roster and they want to select a player. They simply DFA a guy to take a rule 5.

I thought for the purposes of actually Rule 5 draft it was set Dec 2.  So whatever it is now means they can/can't participate at this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft

The selection order of the teams is based on each team's win-loss record from the prior regular season, as in the amateur draft, each round starting with the team with the worst record and proceeding in order to the team with the best record. Teams may choose not to select any player with their pick, passing to the next team in the order. Any player selected under Rule 5 is immediately added to his new team's 40-man roster; thus, teams who do not have an available roster spot may not participate in the Rule 5 draft. Players who are not currently on their team's 40-man roster are eligible to be selected in the Rule 5 draft, but only after a standard exemption period has elapsed, per selection eligibility below.

1 minute ago, jerios55 said:

I thought for the purposes of actually Rule 5 draft it was set Dec 2.  So whatever it is now means they can/can't participate at this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft

The selection order of the teams is based on each team's win-loss record from the prior regular season, as in the amateur draft, each round starting with the team with the worst record and proceeding in order to the team with the best record. Teams may choose not to select any player with their pick, passing to the next team in the order. Any player selected under Rule 5 is immediately added to his new team's 40-man roster; thus, teams who do not have an available roster spot may not participate in the Rule 5 draft. Players who are not currently on their team's 40-man roster are eligible to be selected in the Rule 5 draft, but only after a standard exemption period has elapsed, per selection eligibility below.

Good point ..  But I think the window to protect is. 12/2. I don’t see anything that says their availability to seller is also on that date.

26 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I would not be opposed to the Orioles taking a couple guys, ideally one infielder and one pitcher and see if they make sense as a bullpen and bench stash with enough skills to be useful. I think Omar Estevez is my pick on the infield but there are a few pitching options that are at least somewhat interesting.

I. Wonder if they regret not keeping Bailey over LeBlanc or one of the other guys. Pitched limited innings but had a 2.25 era this season.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Good point ..  But I think the window to protect is. 12/2. I don’t see anything that says their availability to seller is also on that date.

Historically, I think it locks about a week prior (can't find confirmation), but with the Winter Meetings pushed to from Nov to Dec (6-10th), it would make no sense to be locked because it is very likely to change for many teams. 

If I were another team, I'd seriously consider Pop. He's got the big arm that profiles nicely in relief, but he also has some maturity and may actually be able to contribute this year if healthy. We're more likely to be looking at guys who have never done it above A ball, and even then with poor control. I'd still identify a flyer or two on that list because why not, but Pop is really the type I'd like to target if I were the O's.

Hopefully we don't lose him.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I. Wonder if they regret not keeping Bailey over LeBlanc or one of the other guys. Pitched limited innings but had a 2.25 era this season.

Probably. I wish they would have kept Bailey. They probably would have if they knew in retrospect what the season would look like (60 games and expanded rosters). It's a lot easier to keep someone through that. The need of a veteran to eat innings was minimized. If he would've still been in camp when things opened up for Spring/Summer Training Part 2, I think Bailey would have had a much better chance to make the club. The timing of it all was unfortunate for the Birds.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

If I were another team, I'd seriously consider Pop. He's got the big arm that profiles nicely in relief, but he also has some maturity and may actually be able to contribute this year if healthy. We're more likely to be looking at guys who have never done it above A ball, and even then with poor control. I'd still identify a flyer or two on that list because why not, but Pop is really the type I'd like to target if I were the O's.

Hopefully we don't lose him.

There are quite a few guys that look like they could be good gets. But, with most minor league players being inactive last year takes selecting the younger players more difficult.

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

There are quite a few guys that look like they could be good gets. But, with most minor league players being inactive last year takes selecting the younger players more difficult.

This. There are a lot of younger, intriguing players because they've reach the point of needing to be protected (or not), despite not having any development time last year. They were in low-A in 2019 and might have made their way to Double-A for at least a bit in 2020 had it been a normal season. Instead, they're still lacking any upper minor experience.

When I think of guys making the jump for Single A, I still think of Jeff Fiorentino.

Essentially, we have more players than ever before still a long ways from the Majors, but that need to be protected because of that lost development year. So clubs are making the gamble that they're so far from being ready that they cannot possibly make it through a whole season at the big league level. The other piece of this, however, is more teams are trying to cut costs given the down revenues in 2020 and thus may be more inclined to take up an extra 25-man spot with someone that won't be getting paid above league minimum. This whole situation is weird and hard to gauge.

22 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

This. There are a lot of younger, intriguing players because they've reach the point of needing to be protected (or not), despite not having any development time last year. They were in low-A in 2019 and might have made their way to Double-A for at least a bit in 2020 had it been a normal season. Instead, they're still lacking any upper minor experience.

When I think of guys making the jump for Single A, I still think of Jeff Fiorentino.

Essentially, we have more players than ever before still a long ways from the Majors, but that need to be protected because of that lost development year. So clubs are making the gamble that they're so far from being ready that they cannot possibly make it through a whole season at the big league level. The other piece of this, however, is more teams are trying to cut costs given the down revenues in 2020 and thus may be more inclined to take up an extra 25-man spot with someone that won't be getting paid above league minimum. This whole situation is weird and hard to gauge.

I blasted Elias for not protecting Sedlock last off season. He ended up being right that he didn't need to be protected. He's unprotected this year and not much has changed.

Pop didnt pitch this year and had Tommy John the year before missing most of the year. Suffice it to say he will need to be handled delicately. I'd hate to lose him but I trust that Elias knows what he's doing.

What are your thought on this guy?    https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=toffey000wil

Will Toffey – 3B – Contact skills, patience, and a big arm, but lacks ideal power.

He might not have enough power .. Hit .219/.347/.349 .696 OPS ..... If he can get closer to .280/.380/.400 he'd be a pretty nice player. He's had a OBP over .100 points higher in his progression than his average. 24 or his 59 hits in AA were XBH in 2019 and 29 out of 74 in 2018. So he has enough gap power IMO.

This guys has a perfect fielding percentage at SS...Plus .265/.336/.405 at AA in 2019

Kyle Holder – SS – Former first rounder is a plus defender but lacks offensive punch

37 XBH out of 109 .... A little light but he may develop. Hi OPS was 742 in AA

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=holder000kyl

• Upvote 1