Orioles Lose Zach Pop and Grey Fenter in Rule Five

weams

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see how he is going to be used is relevant at all.  If he pitches once every 2 weeks, it was still wrong to not protect him.

It's relevant to the kind of pitcher he may be. Stuff and command are big parts of being a major league pitcher, but when it comes to being a relief pitcher, how that pitcher rebounds back is a big issue as well. 

I'm not saying this is a problem with Pop, but it's something you have to keep an eye on, especially if he's a one inning guy. this is why it's not always easy to just take a starter and make him a reliever because the rest it takes is different for guys.

Again, it may not be an issue at all, but let's say for instance he needs two days rest between appearances than his value is limited.

I'm not taking up for not protecting him because I already named three pitchers who were protected who should have never have been protected over a healthy Pop. You could of added Bannon and Ruiz as well on to the list of guys I would not have protected over him.

But the book has not been completed on this story. I think this was a misstep, but not a catastrophic one. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's relevant to the kind of pitcher he may be. Stuff and command are big parts of being a major league pitcher, but when it comes to being a relief pitcher, how that pitcher rebounds back is a big issue as well. 

I'm not saying this is a problem with Pop, but it's something you have to keep an eye on, especially if he's a one inning guy. this is why it's not always easy to just take a starter and make him a reliever because the rest it takes is different for guys.

Again, it may not be an issue at all, but let's say for instance he needs two days rest between appearances than his value is limited.

I'm not taking up for not protecting him because I already named three pitchers who were protected who should have never have been protected over a healthy Pop. You could of added Bannon and Ruiz as well on to the list of guys I would not have protected over him.

But the book has not been completed on this story. I think this was a misstep, but not a catastrophic one. 

Totally agree it’s not a catastrophic one unless he develops into a shut down reliever.  While possible, I would peg that as unlikely.  He is more likely to settle into a 6th/7th inning type role, 3.5ish ERA guy.  

Solid contributor but not one that is hard to find.  Otoh, it would be nice to have that arm making no money for a while but it’s certainly not collapsing your franchise that he’s gone.

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see how he is going to be used is relevant at all.  If he pitches once every 2 weeks, it was still wrong to not protect him.

47 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It also matters to the Marlins POV. And filling innings. You know how obsessed Elias and Hyde have been all spring about stretching guys out. Trying to have every reliever able to go at least 2 innings.  If the Marlins have troubles with starters going short, and Pop can't pitch back to back or multi innings, if they get in a crunch you know a Rule V is going to be top of the list to send out.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Refresh me on the rules. If they return him, he is not on the 40 man? It's basically like a minor league contract?

He has to clear all the way through waivers then returned to us and doesn’t need to be on 40 man.

33 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Refresh me on the rules. If they return him, he is not on the 40 man? It's basically like a minor league contract?

Jose Batista went through 4 teams when he was rule 5.  Orioles, Royals, Rays then back to Pirates.

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

He has to clear all the way through waivers then returned to us and doesn’t need to be on 40 man.

Actually, once he clears waivers he is offered back to us for $50K.  The original team is not required to take him back, although they do most of the time.