Orioles Lose Zach Pop and Grey Fenter in Rule Five

weams

Zach Pop’s Tweets

Zach Pop

@pop_zach

·

15mWhat a roller coaster of a day with a lot of emotions. First, I’d like to thank the

@Orioles

for all their support especially during the rehab process. Thank you to

@Marlins

for giving me this opportunity to contribute to the team. Excited for what the future holds.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

I am in Texas, and I completely forgot about the time zone difference. I was all excited about the draft coming up in 23 minutes when it’s been going on for 37.

Probably already over. Drat.

Good luck to Pop and Fenter! 

Screw that noise! I hope they do terrible and we get them both back!

Not happy to lose Pop or Fenter.  Obviously, there is a lot that we don't know regarding Pop's injury and prognosis moving forward.  He seemed to have a nice upside.  I think Fenter is under-rated here - esp with folks just looking at the level he reached.  Fenter was dominating Low-A hitters at DelMarva esp at the end of 2019 - when I saw him.  His curveball was unhittable for that level, but the Os kept him there either to hide from last year's Rule 5 of for the playoff run.  Fenter should have been in Frederick and likely would have reached at least Bowie in 2020.  My guess is our FO is not enamored with the Fenter FB.

Will have to see about the new guys and whether our FO can kick up the stuff a notch - something we failed to do with the pitchers taken last year.

Will see how this plays out.  Nice to see other organizations so interested in our fringe prospects.  It's telling.

• Upvote 2

Reposting this from another thread since this is the thread I probably should have posted it in to begin with:

Pretty darn annoyed that we didn't protect Pop, whom I do not see coming back to us. The Marlins will almost certainly find a way to stash his power arm for a season's worth of games.

I will unironically REEEE if he ends up having the best MLB career of the players we received for Manny, which I don't think is too crazy to imagine happening, and we ended up letting him go for nothing.

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Reposting this from another thread since this is the thread I probably should have posted it in to begin with:

Pretty darn annoyed that we didn't protect Pop, whom I do not see coming back to us. The Marlins will almost certainly find a way to stash his power arm for a season's worth of games.

I will unironically REEEE if he ends up having the best MLB career of the players we received for Manny, which I don't think is too crazy to imagine happening, and we ended up letting him go for nothing.

They did get 100K.

• Haha 1

I truly believe Fenter will be returned..... But, How would you feel about Pop being lost when Elias returns the 2 guys he drafted to their original teams??????

I don't believe either of these guys are better than Bailey who they drafted and returned last year before the season was even close to starting.

I actually was excited about Bailey and can't believe he wasn't at very least given a shot. The problem is that we sacrificed Bailey and Pop to keep junk middle relievers like Sulser, Lakins, and Valdez! I like Valdez and his junkball stuff appears to be very effective. However he's not a part of any Orioles contending team. So IMO he should have been dealt and I'm sure there would be interest.

I think it's likely Pop has a better career than the two guys we drafted, but I don't even have 1% of the information on those guys Elias has, and he and his team aren't fools. They could still be wrong, as projecting players is an inexact science, but I certainly wouldn't want to put my track record up against his

They knew the risks and banked on teams passing or being unable to keep him through an entire season. But the arm, which unleashes upper-90s fastballs and mid-80s sliders that also induce ground balls and are rated as plus pitches, and a career 1.34 ERA and 0.909 WHIP with nine strikeouts per nine innings were too good for two teams to ignore.

“There was definitely a little bit of disappointment, but at the same time, I know there’s only so many guys that you can protect,” he said. “I haven’t played. I was rehabbing all last year, this year was COVID, so I totally understand where they’re coming from and why they wouldn’t protect me.”

Pop completed his rehab in October, having been cleared to face hitters and throw live batting practice before enjoying a shutdown period at home in Toronto and beginning workouts again. He’s full-go and eager to report to spring training.

It’s a win-win situation for Pop. Make the Marlins’ opening day roster or return to the Orioles if he clears waivers, most likely return to Double-A Bowie and await a possible promotion later in the summer.

“It’s definitely a positive situation,” he said. “I’m going to try my best to break and do everything possible to impact the team now in a positive way for sure.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/12/pop-was-perplexed-prior-to-news-of-trade.html

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Just read that. Was thinking he has/had a better chance of hitting and sticking in the Majors here instead of the Marlins. They were pretty good last year, a little like us in 2012, became a contender really before we were expecting. Still, they're probably looking to really contend in 2021. Which makes it hard to keep a Rule 5 pick all year. Unless he just blows up good.

How do you guys rate his chances of us getting him back? My uninformed opinion it's about 50-50.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Just read that. Was thinking he has/had a better chance of hitting and sticking in the Majors here instead of the Marlins. They were pretty good last year, a little like us in 2012, became a contender really before we were expecting. Still, they're probably looking to really contend in 2021. Which makes it hard to keep a Rule 5 pick all year. Unless he just blows up good.

-5How do you guys rate his chances of us getting him back? My uninformed opinion it's about 50/50.

So for me it kind of depends if they play the roster shuffle and if he cooperates. So if they DL him to start the season and allow him to continue is rehab. He must be active for 90 days. Its less likely with a team trying to compete if he's not effective out of the gate.

90 days

A Rule 5 Draft pick can be placed on the Major League injured list, but he must be active for a minimum of 90 days to avoid being subject to the aforementioned roster restrictions in the next campaign

I think it will depend on how competitive they are and how good he is performing. I think its less than 50/50 if he ready to go out of the gate and struggles.