Baumann- failure to ask the question

wildcard

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Good, you said it better than I did.  

That’s the question to ask about Baumann, but in fairness to the reporters, they aren’t getting a lot of time with Hyde so I’m not surprised it hasn’t been asked yet.   There’s a lot of story lines to cover and though Baumann’s health is an important long term issue, it’s not like he was expected to make the OD roster.    I think the reporters are more focused on the players who may have some shot to make the team.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s the question to ask about Baumann, but in fairness to the reporters, they aren’t getting a lot of time with Hyde so I’m not surprised it hasn’t been asked yet.   There’s a lot of story lines to cover and though Baumann’s health is an important long term issue, it’s not like he was expected to make the OD roster.    I think the reporters are more focused on the players who may have some shot to make the team.

Tony has very close to DL Hall on his prospect list.  He is probably not too far behind Zimmermann in development.   So his health might not be a opening day issue but it could be near term.    That is unless he arm strain causes a big delay.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tony has very close to DL Hall on his prospect list.  He is probably not too far behind Zimmermann in development.   So his health might not be a opening day issue but it could be near term.    That is unless he arm strain causes a big delay.

To be clear, if he’s healthy I think we might see him in the back half of 2021.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, if he’s healthy I think we might see him in the back half of 2021.

Humm.  If Felix makes the OD rotation.  And he has the injury problems that he has had over the last few years,  some young starter may get the call much earlier than mid season.     That could be Baumann or Lowther or Zimmermann.   Depending on health and productivity.

These guys pitching in AA in 2019. And at the Alternate Site in 2020.  That could shorten their time at AAA.

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Orioles made it clear that they are going to take it slow with Baumann.  They also made it clear that those going to AA and A will not pitch much for a while.  

Baumann is probably slated to go to AA as part of a rehab situation.  So, he won’t be doing too much for probably for at least a few weeks.  Then they will start ramping him up more and more.

If we see Baumann in Baltimore this year, it probably wouldn’t be until after August 1.      This isn’t a lost year by any means for him but it’s not a year where we should expect him to explode onto the scene either.

My guess is he goes to Bowie and they start him off throwing 3-4 innings at a time....let him do that for 3-5 outings and then start to expand it and get him up to AAA. By the end of June, he should be a relative full go, assuming everything goes well.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

To me is a reporting failure.   Baumann's health is important and we are not hearing anything.  This is a failure of reporters to ask the question.

The Orioles beat guys aren’t really independent. Without naming names, I have never heard any controversial question being asked and never heard any follow ups to a non-answer, and once got slammed by one of the beats for pointing that out.

If you hear nothing it’s because they don’t want to address the subject.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles made it clear that they are going to take it slow with Baumann.  They also made it clear that those going to AA and A will not pitch much for a while.  

Baumann is probably slated to go to AA as part of a rehab situation.  So, he won’t be doing too much for probably for at least a few weeks.  Then they will start ramping him up more and more.

If we see Baumann in Baltimore this year, it probably wouldn’t be until after August 1.      This isn’t a lost year by any means for him but it’s not a year where we should expect him to explode onto the scene either.

My guess is he goes to Bowie and they start him off throwing 3-4 innings at a time....let him do that for 3-5 outings and then start to expand it and get him up to AAA. By the end of June, he should be a relative full go, assuming everything goes well.

Link please.  I have not heard or read anything about Baumann going to A or AA. Nor than I heard that he is reporting late and is not in ST right now.

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

The Orioles beat guys aren’t really independent. Without naming names, I have never heard any controversial question being asked and never heard any follow ups to a non-answer, and once got slammed by one of the beats for pointing that out.

If you hear nothing it’s because they don’t want to address the subject.

Baumann's health should not be controversial.   It more informing the fans about what is happening with the highest ranked pitching prospect that was due in ST with the major leaguers.   He is on the 40 man roster.