Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

Chance Sisco was a HS shortstop until his senior season.  Mountcastle was a HS shortstop.  I'll bet 90% of the pitchers in the minor leagues played short or centerfield on the days that they weren't pitching.

What percentage of players drafted are either pitchers, catchers, shortstops, center fielders, or first basement?  It's got to be like 95%.  Throw in right fielders and it goes up to 97%.  Nobody drafts left fielders or second basemen, do they?  They convert center fielders and shortstops to play those positions.

Just now, Yossarian said:

What percentage of players drafted are either pitchers, catchers, shortstops, center fielders, or first basement?  It's got to be like 95%.  Throw in right fielders and it goes up to 97%.  Nobody drafts left fielders or second basemen, do they?  They convert center fielders and shortstops to play those positions.

Some college second basemen get drafted, Rangers took one at #14 last year for instance.  Brewers took Hiura ninth.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some college second basemen get drafted, Rangers took one at #14 last year for instance.  Brewers took Hiura ninth.

The Red Sox took a highschool guy listed as a 2B (Nick Yorke) last year with their 1st round pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He needs to be challenged.

I'm telling y'all 10 year deal.

I don’t get why he is still in low A.  It just doesn’t make much sense, especially considering he reportedly held his own so well in the camp last year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Chance Sisco was a HS shortstop until his senior season.  Mountcastle was a HS shortstop.  I'll bet 90% of the pitchers in the minor leagues played short or centerfield on the days that they weren't pitching.

Many high school coaches I know here in Central Florida will not pitch their shortstops, except maybe in a closer role. Different throwing mechanics involved. They will usually play their pitchers in OF or 1B to care for the arm.

But I suspect you are not far off, if at all. Some travel ball coaches will have a guy catch, pitch and play SS all in the same game. Ridiculous. Good travel programs have many who are PO's, pitchers only. Some position guys do pitch, but they have to be legit 2 way guys. And when they pitch, they sit most, if not all, of the remaining innings. 

• Upvote 1

The advantage of having Henderson in low A is that both him and Westburg can play SS every day, and develop defensively at that position. But there might be no holding back the bat. TBH Westburg is a high level college guy, it's not unreasonable to think he should be able to go to double A at some point this season.