Jorge Lopez 2021

Il BuonO

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I find there are times when I’m really impressed with Lopez’s stuff.    But it kind of comes and goes.   He was pretty dominant for a few innings tonight.   

Which tells you that he could carve out a niche as a reliever.  But when it’s up and down, struggles to go through lineups multiple times, etc...that means something 

Good to see him pitch well tonight though.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I find there are times when I’m really impressed with Lopez’s stuff.    But it kind of comes and goes.   He was pretty dominant for a few innings tonight.   

Me, too. These days, when "a few innings" means 2 to 2 and 1/3 or 2/3 innings, Lopez was dominant for four and recovered strongly from the two solo homers in the fifth. I was simply amazed by the command of his 95-97 mph fastballs.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Which tells you that he could carve out a niche as a reliever.  But when it’s up and down, struggles to go through lineups multiple times, etc...that means something 

Good to see him pitch well tonight though.

I think you are right.   But also, some days his stuff impresses me and other days he doesn’t have much.   It’s not just the results, it’s how he looks.  It would be nice if the O’s could figure out how to get this version of Lopez to show up more often.   

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Lopez earned another start.   With two off days in the next week it will be interesting to see what Hyde does with the rotation.

My guess is that he’ll just stay on rotation and give everyone some extra rest.    They want to limit pitchers’ innings this year anyway, so it makes sense to just give everyone the rest rather than skipping someone in the rotation.  Now I suppose if Kremer has a bad outing today that might change the picture.  

I did his Career numbers earlier - here is his 2021 after last night.

Times Facing Opponent in Game

Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/W BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
1st PA in G, as SP 3 27 26 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 12   .115 .148 .115 .264 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 .214 -32 -20
2nd PA in G, as SP 3 27 24 7 7 0 0 5 0 0 3 5 1.67 .292 .370 .917 1.287 22 1 0 0 0 0 0 .143 189 253
3rd PA in G, as SP 2 5 3 1 3 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0.00 1.000 1.000 1.000 2.000 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.000 400 423

Some other 2021 OPS's yielded Once Through The Order for comparison's sake:

Corbin Burnes = .259, Jacob deGrom = .807, Tyler Glasnow = .296, Gerrit Cole = .641

4 hours ago, LA2 said:

Me, too. These days, when "a few innings" means 2 to 2 and 1/3 or 2/3 innings, Lopez was dominant for four and recovered strongly from the two solo homers in the fifth. I was simply amazed by the command of his 95-97 mph fastballs.

I wouldn’t say he recovered strongly from the two HR. The next batter was a few feet away from making it 3 in a row. I get the decision to test him there and see if he can get through 5, but I think his future is as a 2-3 inning opener or long/middle relief. 

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My guess is that he’ll just stay on rotation and give everyone some extra rest.    They want to limit pitchers’ innings this year anyway, so it makes sense to just give everyone the rest rather than skipping someone in the rotation.  Now I suppose if Kremer has a bad outing today that might change the picture.  

That is the key point IMO.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Just look at his overall resume folks. He is in no way shape or form a good pitcher. Don't confuse 4+ innings vs the Rangers with talent.

In a 5th starters role I think Lopez could do fine, assuming what he showed last night continues. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Kremer had a pretty good game but they optioned him anyway.  My guess is he’s back in 10 days and they carry another reliever until then.