Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. BAbip is a flaw statistic that does not take into consideration how hard the ball was hit or the defense. Its fine to use with a grain of salt in the minors where expected stats are not available. 

As for Akin, here are his MLB percentiles: (Note: They don't scream out he needs to be a major league starter)

Avg Exit Velocity
Max Exit Velocity
HardHit%
xwOBA
xERA
xBA
xSLG
Barrel %
K%
BB%
Whiff%
Chase Rate
Fastball Velocity
Fastball Spin
Curve Spin

Nothing to do with Akin but wouldn’t BABIP still be useful for someone with a longer resume?  I mean if a pitchers K/BB rate is similar and so is their HR rate I would think it would tell something. 

If your stuff isn’t as good your K and/or BB would also suffer wouldn’t it?  

Like I said this is more about a pitcher who has been around awhile. 

27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Nothing to do with Akin but wouldn’t BABIP still be useful for someone with a longer resume?  I mean if a pitchers K/BB rate is similar and so is their HR rate I would think it would tell something. 

If your stuff isn’t as good your K and/or BB would also suffer wouldn’t it?  

Like I said this is more about a pitcher who has been around awhile. 

Any stat is more useful when there is a lot more data than just one year.

Just as any stat shouldn't be considered all that important when the sample size is small.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Any stat is more useful when there is a lot more data than just one year.

Right. Just with BABIP I think in context it still has value. With Akin all his stats are poor because he has pitched poorly. 

We have 55 games left. Hope Zimmerman will be healthy and bounce back. Clearly the risk even in a non contending yeat of young arms hasn’t worked. At least Baumann is showing some signs.

With Akin at this point I honestly don’t care he if starts or not. Its not like he is blocking someone who deserves it. If they want to give a look at a AAA arm Akin isn’t the reason they won’t. I don’t see a future in the rotation but at this point what does it hurt? Perhaps a 6 man rotation will be used in September anyway. 

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would be surprised if they even spent that much but I agree that’s far more realistic than Stroman and something they should easily be able to do.

Stroman is a POS clubhouse cancer. He’s a racist jerk who no one in the league likes. 

• Downvote 1

It's sad as he was actually better in many ways.  He started the majority of the hitters off with strike one, and his strikes to ball ratio was really good.  But he just threw a few too many meatballs, just no consistency.  He'd throw 3-4 excellent, perfect pitches, then leave one right in the wheelhouse that would be hit in the gap to the wall.