Keegan Akin 2021

Il BuonO

54 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wasn't there some innuendo that he reported to camp out of shape? 

Wasn’t innuendo you good see he was fluffy. I’m tired of him being on the MLB staff right now. Him and Pat the no bat second baseman. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, connja said:

All you have to do is look at him to see he's out of shape.

He’s always been a little, ahem, portly.   The question is whether he was more so than usual this year.  He doesn’t look it to me now, but I can’t say about spring training.   

• 2 weeks later...

I have been saying for quite a long time that we should bring up guys from the minors, throw them into the field and let them show what they can do. I am very glad that Akin has been given an audition.

But he doesn’t seem to be very good. So now I want to ask, are there good things about him that I am missing? And regardless of that answer, how long does an audition last?

I think he should get the rest of the season probably, but shouldn’t he be on the mound as a starter? Even if he’s not very good? And then, we’re done.

Just now, Philip said:

Thank you, but isn’t spin rate kind of like velocity? It’s one of the ingredients, but it’s not anything at all by itself. 

Sure, and it’s definitely not velocity, which is one of the more prominent ingredients. 

It’s like I keep saying about Tanner Scott, when a guy throws that hard he’s going to get plenty of opportunities.

Akin does have a decent SO rate though, likely because of the higher spin rate, but it isn’t enough if he continues to get shellacked.

I would prefer that Akin stay in AAA to work on his command.  There's no reason to keep him in the majors to get battered.  I feel like we have seen enough of Akin and Lowther.  I assume Elias doesn't want to start the service time clock on anyone he thinks will be good.  Akin and Lowther serve as convenient punching bags for major league hitters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

He can spin his way off the team, IMO.  

Hard to disagree. I thought he had the possibility of a back of the rotation guy when I saw him last year, but he needs to figure it out at Norfolk if there’s to be a second chance. Along w/ Kremer and Lowther, they can all stay there until they do or they’re no longer considered options.

• Upvote 1

Keegan Akin is bad. No love for the guy from me. That said, I hope he suddenly becomes good. But the shine is off and he's just org filler for me. Prefer to see him just get starts at AAA and try to get his act together. Doesn't seem like he cares all that much either way, so I'd rather see non-prospect guys like Watkins who actually look like they want to compete. 

16 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would prefer that Akin stay in AAA to work on his command.  There's no reason to keep him in the majors to get battered.  I feel like we have seen enough of Akin and Lowther.  I assume Elias doesn't want to start the service time clock on anyone he thinks will be good.  Akin and Lowther serve as convenient punching bags for major league hitters.

Lowther has pitched 8.1 innings in the majors...