The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

Just now, RZNJ said:

25 pitches?  I mean, come on!    And he had a quick dominant inning in the 9th.  Sorry, but it’s either Bautista or Cano there.   Heck, I’d rather see Austin Voth there.

I wouldn't go that far. Definitely should have been Bautista or Cano though.

Edited by dystopia
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Someone pointed out in game thread the mistake came last night when he was inserted in a 3R game.  That’s when he should have used someone besides Bautista.  

Easy to say now.  Even saying that you would have wanted Bautista warming up just in case.

• Upvote 1

As soon as I saw Cano wasn't returning for the 10th, I knew Hyde had messed up badly. Very upset with him right now. Terrible call not to leave Cano in for another inning. It's not like his arm would explode if he threw another 10 pitches.

If we were really that worried about Cano's pitch count, just get Gillaspie warm in case he's needed. But in all likelihood, with the ghost runner, Cano would either win the game for us, or lose, without going over a pitch count of about 25-30. Then you just give him a few days of rest and he'll be fine.

• Upvote 2

It probably didn't cost the game because it seems like they likely lose anyway, but why not IBB Burger in the 10th?  1B open, sets up the DP, and Burger has been hitting you hard through 2 games.  And Burger's run didn't count for anything.

Just didn't quite get that (non) decision there.

One more while I’m at it.  This one worked out for Hyde BUT how do you take Baker out after getting the first out in the 8th for Perez who has been getting lit up lately?   I believe in taking care of the arms but when you have pitchers aleady in games who haven’t been taxed you can’t let them throw another 10-15 pitches.   Really?

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

One more thing.  The odds of Gillaspie stranding the ghost runner were definitely not good.  You don’t play for one run in the top of the tenth if you’re bringing him in.

I do not believe they were playing for one. It looked like Mateo did that on his own trying for a hit. Did anyone address that play in the post game?

On the positive side, I liked that Hyde pinch hit for McCann, moving Adley back to C and losing the DH. One advantage of having Vavra and O'Hearn on the bench is being able to lose the DH. I can't remember Buck ever doing that although the extra roster spot really helps keeping your P from having to hit.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

It probably didn't cost the game because it seems like they likely lose anyway, but why not IBB Burger in the 10th?  1B open, sets up the DP, and Burger has been hitting you hard through 2 games.  And Burger's run didn't count for anything.

Just didn't quite get that (non) decision there.

Best guess, he preferred right on right. Try to get a K and then walk the lefty

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

This one hurt because the game was won. Up by one, bring in the Mountain. Game over!

As great as he’s been I don’t think it’s automatic with a runner on 2nd and no outs but I definitely like our chances there.   

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

As great as he’s been I don’t think it’s automatic with a runner on 2nd and no outs but I definitely like our chances there.   

Bautista did navigate that situation successfully twice in one game against the White Sox last year, holding them scoreless in the 10th and 11th to get the win.  The only other time he pitched the 10th, he gave up the winning run and took the loss.  Anyway, that’s not automatic and I’m sure Hyde wasn’t anxious to pitch him 3 days in a row, something he never did last year.  

16 hours ago, seak05 said:

I think when Gibson couldn’t get through 6, I might’ve put Watkins in 

We still got to the point where we’re up by 1 in the 10th for a save situation.

In reality though, we were on our 5th reliever and Bautista was unavailable. Who were we going to bring in over Gilaspie?  

Remember when Hyde brought in Stevie Wilkerson over Tanner Scott in a save Situation?  Lol. Hilarious.