Fangraphs on Mullins

Frobby

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

From what I have seen I think Hays. He might not cover quite as much ground but his arm is so much better. Ideally I'd love to see Mullins at 2B. 

I’d vote Mullins because I think range comes into play for a CF more often than arm does.   But Hays’ range is decent, and you are right he has the much better arm.  

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d vote Mullins because I think range comes into play for a CF more often than arm does.   But Hays’ range is decent, and you are right he has the much better arm.  

I don't know if there's any data to support this but from the eye test it seems like Mullins does just about everything well except with balls that are hit over his head. It's probably the most difficult play for an OF so that's understandable but he's had some trouble tracking balls hit past him and knowing when to play it off the wall. That and the arm is not very good. He's still a strong CF no doubt. 

Just now, Frobby said:

I'm absolutely torn between the arm and the speed. They both catch what they get to. I'd call it a tossup. Cop out I know but...

41 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I'm absolutely torn between the arm and the speed. They both catch what they get to. I'd call it a tossup. Cop out I know but...

Well its obvious Hyde prefers range in a CF, he likes if the OF gets to more balls even if Mullins has a weak arm. 

9 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Well its obvious Hyde prefers range in a CF, he likes if the OF gets to more balls even if Mullins has a weak arm. 

Yes absolutely. It’s more important to catch the ball than it is to throw the ball. Sadly, we too often have guys who do neither. Hays is better.

Just now, jabba72 said:

I was going to add, it really boils down to what Hyde and this specific team needs. Not really who's "better."

5 hours ago, Philip said:

I did not know that, so I guess that’s a dealbreaker.I did not know that, so I guess that’s a dealbreaker.

Do you actually watch the games or do you just spend all of this time expressing your opinions on this message board based on boxscores?  Not an insult, I'm just genuinely curious since you did not know Mullins was left handed and he's played over 100 games in an Orioles uniform. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Do you actually watch the games or do you just spend all of this time expressing your opinions on this message board based on boxscores?  Not an insult, I'm just genuinely curious since you did not know Mullins was left handed and he's played over 100 games in an Orioles uniform. 

I was the one who brought it up and it was admittedly a brain fart. I don't really look at what arm guys throw with and assumed as a (former) switch hitter he was RH. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I like Hays in left and Mullins is center.  Hays does not seem to dive as much in left.  Keeping Hays healthy is key and if playing left keeps him on the field that is what I would do.

Also, don’t let him bat.