Robert Neustrom 2021

Hazmat

At this point, should he be in Baltimore? 

I know the at bats in AAA are limited so far but he is 24 and was drafted out of college.  If you want to give him some more MiL time, so be it but with Diaz’s year being a complete zero and DJ and Santander sucking or hurt, I figure we might as well see what we have with this guy.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I know the at bats in AAA are limited so far but he is 24 and was drafted out of college.  If you want to give him some more MiL time, so be it but with Diaz’s year being a complete zero and DJ and Santander sucking or hurt, I figure we might as well see what we have with this guy.

The Orioles don't need to protect Neustrom this year on the 40-man roster so that could be a reason to keep him down. While there is a lot of deadweight on the current 40-man, they still have to look if it's worth putting him on there or not. He's been on a heater for the last two months and has hit the ball as well as anyone in the upper minors, but he doesn't have good numbers against lefties so they may want to give him more time in AAA to work on that as well. 

He's been a nice story this year for sure.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles don't need to protect Neustrom this year on the 40-man roster so that could be a reason to keep him down. While there is a lot of deadweight on the current 40-man, they still have to look if it's worth putting him on there or not. He's been on a heater for the last two months and has hit the ball as well as anyone in the upper minors, but he doesn't have good numbers against lefties so they may want to give him more time in AAA to work on that as well. 

He's been a nice story this year for sure.

After doing a little more digging, it seems that Neustrom does need to be protected this year before the Rule 5 draft. I was under the impression it was four full seasons for college players, not four seasons including their first season after being drafted. With that said, I still think they will keep him in the minors through most of this season but if he stays hot, they could decide to make a move and bring him up.

• Upvote 2

I've been wondering about the Rule V guys recently, and if some of them are more likely to get a look this fall. My month old list has Hall, Bradish, Vavra, Smith, Neustrom, Knight, Dorrian, Peralta, Vespi, Hall, Stauffer as additions.  The turnover on the 40 man over the next year will be pretty impressive. 

3 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I've been wondering about the Rule V guys recently, and if some of them are more likely to get a look this fall. My month old list has Hall, Bradish, Vavra, Smith, Neustrom, Knight, Dorrian, Peralta, Vespi, Hall, Stauffer as additions.  The turnover on the 40 man over the next year will be pretty impressive. 

These two will definitely not be additions. After the trade deadline comes and goes I have an article to put on Rule 5 eligible players and the affect on the 40-man. It just made sense to wait until the trade deadline shakes out.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

These two will definitely not be additions. After the trade deadline comes and goes I have an article to put on Rule 5 eligible players and the affect on the 40-man. It just made sense to wait until the trade deadline shakes out.

Makes sense. I'm looking forward to reading this. Disappointed Adam Hall has fallen out of favor so much this year. Just turned 22, has 24 SB/1 CS, can play multiple positions. I suppose I can still have hope for him as a prospect while not worrying about him being Rule V drafted. Honestly, I still have never seen Stauffer pitch. 

9 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Makes sense. I'm looking forward to reading this. Disappointed Adam Hall has fallen out of favor so much this year. Just turned 22, has 24 SB/1 CS, can play multiple positions. I suppose I can still have hope for him as a prospect while not worrying about him being Rule V drafted. Honestly, I still have never seen Stauffer pitch. 

I’m a Hall fan, too, but there’s zero chance he’d be selected in the Rule 5 draft, having never played at AA and not having that much upside.   Probably the best baserunner in our organization, and decent OBP skills (including a propensity for getting HBP), but zero power and my impression is his defense is just OK.   

• Upvote 1

I think the jury is still out on Adam Hall.  He had a bad May and June but in July he has a 308/418/431/848.    Yes he has no power but if he's made an adjust and keeps hitting like that in August and Sept. he may attract some attention from other clubs in the Rule 5 draft as a UIF that can steal bases.

He could be the next Zach Pop.    I will wait to pass judgement on whether he should be on the 40 man roster this off season. After all he is 22 years old playing in A+ ball.   

Is he injured again?  I haven't noticed his name in boxscores lately.    He has no power and strikes out a lot.  Bad combination.   I'm not writing him off but no one is picking him in the Rule5 even with an .848 August.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think the jury is still out on Adam Hall.  He had a bad May and June but in July he has a 308/418/431/848.    Yes he has no power but if he's made an adjust and keeps hitting like that in August and Sept. he may attract some attention from other clubs in the Rule 5 draft as a UIF that can steal bases.

He could be the next Zach Pop.    I will wait to pass judgement on whether he should be on the 40 man roster this off season. After all he is 22 years old playing in A+ ball.   

Hall was hot for a while, now he isn’t.  He’s had one hit in his last five games.   But putting that aside, I just don’t see him as the type of player who gets picked in the Rule 5 draft, even if he finishes the season strong.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is he injured again?  I haven't noticed his name in boxscores lately.    He has no power and strikes out a lot.  Bad combination.   I'm not writing him off but no one is picking him in the Rule5 even with an .848 August.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yes, he’s on 7 day IL.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Hall was hot for a while, now he isn’t.  He’s had one hit in his last five games.   But putting that aside, I just don’t see him as the type of player who gets picked in the Rule 5 draft, even if he finishes the season strong.

Back in the day with deeper benches I could see it.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Back in the day with deeper benches I could see it.

I mean, the A’s carried Herb Washington for a full season and month into a second season, and he never once had an at bat.   So, yeah, in that environment you could carry an Adam Hall, whose a better base stealer than Washington ever was. 

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I like the idea of giving a guy his first taste of MLB when he’s on a hot streak.