J.D. Mundy 2021

Aristotelian

Any reports on this kid? Signed as undrafted free agent, age 23 with some college experience (Radford and VA Tech). OPSed 1.038 at Delmarva (.461 OBP), now at .991 at Aberdeen. 2 for 4 with 2 BB and a three run bomb tonight. Seems like every time I check the box score he's got a line like that. Not in our Top 30 but sitting at 38 in the power rankings. Could he be a legit prospect in our top 30 with the next power ranking? 

From Roanoke. I wonder if someone at Norfolk had their eye on him? 

Not really blocked by anyone in the organization until you get to Mountcastle. 

• Upvote 1

He hit a second homer of the night after you posted this. A little old for Aberdeen, would love to see whether he could hold his own at Bowie in the second half of the season.

Certainly isn't blocked at Bowie. Would like to see Stowers and Daschbach get some time in Bowie as well.

It’s about time somebody started a thread about this guy.   It’s one thing for a college guy to dominate low A, but when they do it in hi A I take notice.   Not bad for an undrafted free agent.   Hopefully he keeps raking for a few more weeks and we may have to promote him to Bowie.   

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's got a very short, compact left-handed swing that generates good power to all fields. Seems to have a nice idea of the strike zone and doesn't looked overmatched by offspeed pitches. I need to see him more against upper velocity, but it's hard not to be impressed with his bat.

Defensively, he's short for a first baseman (listed generously at 6 ft) and doesn't look like he has a lot of quickness over there, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he can't play there effectively.

Once he made the adjustment at High-A, he's been very impressive. Considering he was basically a senior sign last year, he's been very impressive on his ability to not only hit, but hit for power at the professional level so far. 

If he ends up in Bowie the second half of this year and hits well there, I think you have to consider him a legitimate 1B prospect.

While I don't think Mundy will be a factor in whether to trade Mancini at the deadline(which I am against),  if he keeps hitting and moves up to AA in the 2nd half he could be a factor in whether the O's spend 10m on Mancini over the winter.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While I don't think Mundy will be a factor in whether to trade Mancini at the deadline(which I am against),  if he keeps hitting and moves up to AA in the 2nd half he could be a factor in whether the O's spend 10m on Mancini over the winter.

That is the factor that is most important.  They should know right now if they are good with Trey's salary in 2022.  If there is any doubt, you move him now.

I’ve been thinking that the organization needed some power hitters in the coming draft, particularly at 1B. So it’s a nice surprise to see Mundy emerge from that void. I’d like to see him challenged at AA too. But just as much as I’d like to see how he fares at the next level, I’d like to see what he can do with a serious offseason of physical training. 

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That is the factor that is most important.  They should know right now if they are good with Trey's salary in 2022.  If there is any doubt, you move him now.

I think that depends on what Elias wants from the 2022 team.  If he wants it to show progress and be a winning team with the addition of Adley, Grayson and Hall then he needs to have a power hitting middle of the lineup guy to team with Mountcastle at 1B/DH.   That could be Mancini or it could be  someone else like Mundy  if he progresses.  I don't think Elias will have the kind of read he needs on Mundy by the end of July.  It will take longer.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think that depends on what Elias wants from the 2022 team.  If he wants it to show progress and be a winning team with the addition of Adley, Grayson and Hall then he needs to have a power hitting middle of the lineup guy to team with Mountcastle at 1B/DH.   That could be Mancini or it could be  someone else like Mundy  if he progresses.  I don't think Elias will have the kind of read he needs on Mundy by the end of July.  It will take longer.

As you said above though, Mundy won't influence how they value Mancini and what they're willing to pay him. Two independent things there.