ESPN: 1 player every team should trade or trade for

Sports Guy

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31679937/one-player-all-30-mlb-teams-trade-away-deadline

bal.png&h=60&w=60

Baltimore Orioles: Trade Trey Mancini

His comeback has been an uplifting story, but that doesn't mean the Orioles will keep him around simply as some sort of favor to the fans. That's not how the Astros operated when GM Mike Elias worked there and it's not how he's operating in Baltimore. Mancini is under team control through 2022 and the Orioles don't exactly look like contenders for 2022, so you may as well cash in now. Several contenders could use an upgrade at first base or DH -- the Red Sox, Indians, A's and Brewers leading that list.

nym.png&h=60&w=60

New York Mets: Acquire John Means

The Mets sit in first place even though the offense has struggled due to injuries (Michael Conforto, Jeff McNeil, Brandon Nimmo, J.D. Davis) and underperformance (Francisco Lindor, Dominic Smith). With some of that injured group starting to get healthy, the Mets should be able to bank on more runs. The rotation has been terrific, but there are several concerns: Jacob deGrom's aches and pains that won't go away, possible regression from Taijuan Walker, Noah Syndergaard's health, David Peterson's inconsistency. If they knew they were getting Syndergaard and Carlos Carrasco back, that's one thing, but maybe they also need to hedge against deGrom's health. The Orioles are unlikely to trade Means and a deal might have to start with shortstop Ronny Mauricio, but it never hurts to ask.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

It's definitely time to move Mancini. No need to Machado this thing and let his trade value drain away as he gets closer to free agency. On Means it should be at a premium but they should definitely be listening, same for Mullins. 

• Upvote 2

A deal headlined by Brice Turang for Mancini would be nice.  Currently the #76 prospect by mlb.com.

Also wonder if you could get Huira in the deal.  You need to do something with him if you are the Brewers and he is probably a DH going forward.  I know we don’t necessarily need a DH guy but that’s a bat I would take a chance on.

Thanks SG.  Interesting to me that Means/Mancini are the ones most mentioned and little of Santander.    I wonder if teams are finally catching on that he is a walking M*A*S*H unit.    

I'd absolutely trade Means to the Rays for Baz and Brujan.   Don't think they would....but, worth the ask.

I'd also entertain a trade to the Mets centered around J.T. Ginn.    I think he's a TOR starter.  He's recovering from surgery and we may be able to cash in and hope he rebounds well.     If not a trade around Alexander Ramirez is a good start for me.  

3 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Thanks SG.  Interesting to me that Means/Mancini are the ones most mentioned and little of Santander.    I wonder if teams are finally catching on that he is a walking M*A*S*H unit.    

I'd absolutely trade Means to the Rays for Baz and Brujan.   Don't think they would....but, worth the ask.

I'd also entertain a trade to the Mets centered around J.T. Ginn.    I think he's a TOR starter.  He's recovering from surgery and we may be able to cash in and hope he rebounds well.     If not a trade around Alexander Ramirez is a good start for me.  

Santander has no value right now.  He hasn’t been good this year and he’s hurt.  It’s the exact scenario I talked about in the offseason when I said we should trade him.  

Otoh, he could get healthy, have a good second half and get back the trade value that he had this past offseason.

I'd move Mancini and Means and some of the suggested returns look good.  I'm concerned about Means' effectiveness without the sticky stuff and worry a bit about his fatigue issues.  Trey likely isn't part of the long term plan here.  Honestly, I like both of them off the field, too, and would like to see them play in some meaningful games.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander has no value right now.  He hasn’t been good this year and he’s hurt.  It’s the exact scenario I talked about in the offseason when I said we should trade him.  

Otoh, he could get healthy, have a good second half and get back the trade value that he had this past offseason.

That's the only path forward with him unless some GM out there really likes him and wants to overpay in the next few weeks.  At least there is the possibility of a good second half.  That would be very good news for the O's.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

A deal headlined by Brice Turang for Mancini would be nice.  Currently the #76 prospect by mlb.com.

Also wonder if you could get Huira in the deal.  You need to do something with him if you are the Brewers and he is probably a DH going forward.  I know we don’t necessarily need a DH guy but that’s a bat I would take a chance on.

Mancini for Huira+ is the exact type of trade you want to make. Sell high and buy low. Huira and Turang would be a nice return. 

I don't think trading Trey for a DH is a good trade.  

What a disappointment Hiura has been. Have not been following closely, is there an explanation for his struggles? How do you go from heir apparent 2B prospect to DH? 

I agree that it's time to face facts and trade Trey at the deadline this year. Mountcastle is decent enough defensively at 1B and that seems like his best position anyway, Trey deserves to be on a winner, etc. 

I don't think moving Means right now is necessary. He can still definitely be part of a good Orioles club, IMO.