Mancini is my hero!

NelsonCruuuuuz

9 hours ago, orioles119 said:

No class from Alonso... couldn't have stopped at 21 like Olson let up?

/sarcasm

Mancini can comfort himself knowing that he’s still earning nearly three times what Alonso does this year, even with the million dollar prize. Who knows if Alonso will flame out at some point. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Trey did a great job.  He made Alonso work for it. 

I’m not a big fan of Alonso’s preening, but I’m an old school kind of guy.   Alonso certainly earned the trophy with a great performance.   

Overall, I don’t really like the format, with the batters swinging at a pitch before the previous ball has even landed.   Too much going on to really appreciate the longer homers.    And I didn’t think the announcers were very good.   

Most underrated skill in the HR derby: throwing pitches in the right spot for the batters to crush them.   That ain’t so easy.   

I agree.  I prefer the format of outs vs time limit.  The one thing is that it moves it along faster because some of those derby’s took forever.

But still, like you said, you have no idea when a ball is gone and you can’t really appreciate where they go.  The announcers aren’t that bad imo but they have way too much to call and they don’t get into as much because they can’t appreciate it as much.

I fell asleep and didn't even know this was on. I have a very strange sleep schedule, but I'm happy that Trey got to the final round. Also, I'm extremely happy that Cedric got the starting job in center field. It shouldn't have taken this long to decide if Mullins should start. Probably because he plays for the Orioles...

32 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

The derby still misses Chris Berman.

Absolutely not.  He's painful.  backbackbackcback every 30 seconds.  It's cool every so often but on every.  single.  homer.  It's obnoxious.

Mancini getting to the finals last night was fantastic.  And he made Alonso work for it.   

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PHRESH said:

MLB blew it by not focusing more on Mancini's comeback today. I feel like it was kind of an afterthought compared to the Ohtani hype. I dunno, just feels like they missed out on a better story. 

Nine stories about the Derby on MLB.com now and none of them are about Trey. Names in the articles' headlines: Alonso; Olson; Ohtani, Soto; Freeman; Tatis. Really dismaying.

3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Nine stories about the Derby on MLB.com now and none of them are about Trey. Names in the articles' headlines: Alonso; Olson; Ohtani, Soto; Freeman; Tatis. Really dismaying.

It's not like Sportscenter didn't have a segment about him earlier in the day.  

Also Trey's name is right under the "Alonso repeats as champ!" headline on MLB.com

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Absolutely not.  He's painful.  backbackbackcback every 30 seconds.  It's cool every so often but on every.  single.  homer.  It's obnoxious.

Mancini getting to the finals last night was fantastic.  And he made Alonso work for it.   

In 2013 when Chris Davis was in the home run derby, Berman repeated "backbackbackcback" 10,000 times and it was to the point that it came off as an autistic tick. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

In 2013 when Chris Davis was in the home run derby, Berman repeated "backbackbackcback" 10,000 times and it was to the point that it came off as an autistic tick. 

Yeah, it just got tired after awhile.  I appreciate his enthusiasm but the backbackbackback thing is stupid when its a 450 foot no-doubter.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree.  I prefer the format of outs vs time limit.  The one thing is that it moves it along faster because some of those derby’s took forever.

But still, like you said, you have no idea when a ball is gone and you can’t really appreciate where they go.  The announcers aren’t that bad imo but they have way too much to call and they don’t get into as much because they can’t appreciate it as much.

I think an overhead shot of some sort would be an improvement than what they currently use. If it's hard to see the ball from that distance, they do have the computer generated lines to follow the path of the ball. 

I rarely watch the derby, but I did like the fast pace of it. I only vaguely remember the outs format as I never gave the derby much thought unless an Orioles was in it (or my hometown guy Josh Hamilton). I had to keep yelling at the kids to "hurry up, come back in the den, Trey is up!"

41 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

The derby still misses Chris Berman.

Oh God.  Josh Hamilton doing what he did at Yankee stadium will go down as one of the best HR derby ever.  One of the most amazing feats on a baseball diamond.  As long as you have the replay on MUTE.  Berman tried to ruin that.

• Upvote 1