Spenser Watkins 2021

Il BuonO

39 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Is that a good thing?  I forget if Towers was good or was a bum.

Towers had a couple of very solid years with Toronto, but after that, his career was mostly... faulty.  He played well enough to get a nice contract with Toronto, and hopefully he saved up that money.  

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Is that a good thing?  I forget if Towers was good or was a bum.

Josh Towers in June, 2001 (Damn, it was 20 years ago, unbelievable)... 5-1, 1.49 ERA in 42.1 innings pitched.  1.10 WHIP.  The tell-tale sign should have been only 15 strikeouts for a 3.2 k/9 rate.

He imploded in July, 0-4, 6.47 ERA.

Spenser does a lot of things well, it seems.  He knows that his fastball is underwhelming but he's not afraid to throw it for a strike.  It looks like he mixes his pitches well and the secondary offerings are decent.  

His K-rate leaves a bit to be desired, and his walk rate isn't great.  The FIP is 4.03.  I'm expecting the other shoe to drop soon but he's better than Akin, Kremer, Lowther and whatever other slop we've thrown out there, that's for damn sure.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Josh Towers in June, 2001 (Damn, it was 20 years ago, unbelievable)... 5-1, 1.49 ERA in 42.1 innings pitched.  1.10 WHIP.  The tell-tale sign should have been only 15 strikeouts for a 3.2 k/9 rate.

He imploded in July, 0-4, 6.47 ERA.

Spenser does a lot of things well, it seems.  He knows that his fastball is underwhelming but he's not afraid to throw it for a strike.  It looks like he mixes his pitches well and the secondary offerings are decent.  

His K-rate leaves a bit to be desired, and his walk rate isn't great.  The FIP is 4.03.  I'm expecting the other shoe to drop soon but he's better than Akin, Kremer, Lowther and whatever other slop we've thrown out there, that's for damn sure.

Honestly, that's still way better than we have gotten from any other starter. Even Means' FIP is 4.20.