Which of the remaining Free Agents are the best fit for the O's?

wildcard

Some people don't seem to understand team building here.  "Don't block our prospects!"  WTF is that?

You have prospects at every position. Do you think they are all going to be streamlined plug and play success stories, day 1?  That if you block them you lose all value.

Did Westburg have a good year? For sure.  Is he destined to be a SS on a play off team, far from it.  Will he struggle, need to be sent down, take a year or more from his MLB debut to become a productive member of the team?  Maybe, probably.

Kyle Tucker was a much better prospect and took time. He debuted in 2018, and was borderline terrible until last year.  What allowed the Astros to stay competitive is realizing that and signing guys like Brantley or Reddick.

If you sign a SS long term and Westburg comes up and dominates, great.  Now you figure it out.  Move a player, use the DH.

Team building is a messy business.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Some people don't seem to understand team building here.  "Don't block our prospects!"  WTF is that?

You have prospects at every position. Do you think they are all going to be streamlined plug and play success stories, day 1?  That if you block them you lose all value.

Did Westburg have a good year? For sure.  Is he destined to be a SS on a play off team, far from it.  Will he struggle, need to be sent down, take a year or more from his MLB debut to become a productive member of the team?  Maybe, probably.

Kyle Tucker was a much better prospect and took time. He debuted in 2018, and was borderline terrible until last year.  What allowed the Astros to stay competitive is realizing that and signing guys like Brantley or Reddick.

If you sign a SS long term and Westburg comes up and dominates, great.  Now you figure it out.  Move a player, use the DH.

Team building is a messy business.

The overwhelming attitude on this site and amongst Os fans is that all of our prospects are going to hit and be good from day 1.

Its just awful logic.  I can understand not wanting to sign guys to big, long term contracts, for many reasons including the idea of blocking guys.  But 2 year deals?  That shouldn’t even be a question.  

The only position we shouldn’t be signing anyone for is C.  By that I mean, sure you can sign some vet back up type guy but I’m talking about real money and for any amount of time.

I would also argue that perhaps you don’t do it for the OF although I think they should trade Mullins and Santander (if the value is there) and if so, I would sign an OFer.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The overwhelming attitude on this site and amongst Os fans is that all of our prospects are going to hit and be good from day 1.

It is far from the overwhelming attitude here.  Most posters are far more realistic than that.   And everyone knows who the incurable optimists are.   

Still, the team will need to have several prospects hit eventually in order to have a chance to be competitive.   And, they’ll need some good luck with some cheaper acquisitions.   

Just now, Frobby said:

It is far from the overwhelming attitude here.  Most posters are far more realistic than that.   And everyone knows who the incurable optimists are.   

Still, the team will need to have several prospects hit eventually in order to have a chance to be competitive.   And, they’ll need some good luck with some cheaper acquisitions.   

I disagree.  Many people are completely on board with just sitting around and waiting. Most people are on board with the Os seeing what they have at first. Many people don’t want to sign anyone yet.  They want to wait.

There isn’t much logic, at least good logic, behind that.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I disagree.  Many people are completely on board with just sitting around and waiting. Most people are on board with the Os seeing what they have at first. Many people don’t want to sign anyone yet.  They want to wait.

There isn’t much logic, at least good logic, behind that.

Whether to wait for some prospects to arrive is a separate issue from believing they are all going to hit and will do so immediately.   

I am for spending some money this off season. And I think there will be some players available that could help the O's on one year contract plus club options.  

Tampa has made the playoffs 7 out of the last 14 seasons.  And they rarely spend much money on FAs.  Mostly they extend their own players.    

Do the O's have to follow the Tampa model.  No, but they have been through the tear down.   I don't really see why they would change now.

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yeah he hit 35 HR last year. Hope it’s not a medical concern. 

I doubt it.   Probably just a guy who wasn’t interested in becoming a guy who jumps from team to team in his mid-30s. He can make do with the $100 mm+ that he made, or leach off his brother.