Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

"We support all aspects of MLB's joint drug prevention and treatment program and their ruling in this particular case,'' Orioles general manager Mike Elias said in a statement. "I am glad that Matt now has the opportunity to put this part of his past behind him and pursue another shot with our organization after serving his suspension.''

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33934008/matt-harvey-suspended-60-games-mlb-distributing-oxycodone

Not a good look, Mike.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

"We support all aspects of MLB's joint drug prevention and treatment program and their ruling in this particular case,'' Orioles general manager Mike Elias said in a statement. "I am glad that Matt now has the opportunity to put this part of his past behind him and pursue another shot with our organization after serving his suspension.''

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33934008/matt-harvey-suspended-60-games-mlb-distributing-oxycodone

Not a good look, Mike.  

Thank you Frobby! Seriously. Many trust your opinion and this is absolutely correct! 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not a good look, Mike.  

No one could have seen this coming when he was signed, right?  Right?

The thing is I keep hearing now is not the time to sign this free agent or that free agent.So we sign Harvey again on a team with a bad perception problem. Keep hearing if you sign this guy that he won't make much of a difference and the Orioles are not there yet.They could find a pitcher who can eat innings who won't move the needle just like Harvey Who needs the distraction  

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Defending him is one thing, saying he had nothing to do with Skaggs’ death is something else.   His behavior was wrong and inexcusable.  But it didn’t cause Skaggs’ death, did it?

Yes  but no one blames the bar when a drunk driver kills someone.

9 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Thank you Frobby! Seriously. Many trust your opinion and this is absolutely correct! 

I hope you eventually see the world isn’t so black and white. Matt Harvey can make a terrible decision and do some bad things, but it doesn’t mean he is a terrible person who shouldn’t have a chance for redemption. Nobody on here knows what’s in his heart. I imagine he’s felt a lot of grief over what happened to Skaggs, and I hope he’s able to learn from his mistakes and live a better life. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

In sports, you tend to overlook off field issues when the person is supremely talented and helps you win games.

Matt Harvey is neither of these things. So, why deal with it at this point?

Was Delmon Young supremely talented?  Was the 2014 version of Francisco Rodriguez?

Teams don't generally have much in the way of standards when it comes to behavior.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was Delmon Young supremely talented?  Was the 2014 version of Francisco Rodriguez?

Teams don't generally have much in the way of standards when it comes to behavior.

Well we were good and they had upside as good role pieces that could help us and iirc, their issues didn’t happen right before and while we signed them.  This is fresh and that does matter because it’s a current distraction.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not supremely talented, but each of those guys still had some value as MLB players.  Not saying that justifies the acquisition, but at least there was an upside.

I don't understand the positive with Harvey - unless it's seriously just out of pity/goodwill and trying to give him a chance.  But you don't typically see that in the sports world.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well we were good and they had upside as good role pieces that could help us and iirc, their issues didn’t happen right before and while we signed them.  This is fresh and that does matter because it’s a current distraction.

Oh, Rodriguez got arrested almost two whole years earlier so he wasn't a reprehensible human being?  That how it works?  Oh the team was good so it's OK to trade for someone like that?  Is there a sliding scale I'm not aware of?

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Not supremely talented, but each of those guys still had some value as MLB players.  Not saying that justifies the acquisition, but at least there was an upside.

I don't understand the positive with Harvey - unless it's seriously just out of pity/goodwill and trying to give him a chance.  But you don't typically see that in the sports world.

I just think it's hypocritical to be upset about the one and not see the issues with the others.

Unless of course we are talking about a person that thinks drugs are worse than hate crimes and domestic violence.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just think it's hypocritical to be upset about the one and not see the issues with the others.

Unless of course we are talking about a person that thinks drugs are worse than hate crimes and domestic violence.

I can't speak for everyone.  I absolutely saw issues with the others.  But at least, from a baseball standpoint, I understood that those players had value, whether or not I agreed with the acquisition.

Matt Harvey has no such value.  He in no way makes the team better.  You could sign or cheaply acquire a dozen players that are better than him at this point in his career.  What on earth is the point of this signing, given the issues at hand?