Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

• 1 month later...

From Roch:

Any updates on Matt Harvey? When would a ruling take place regarding a potential suspension?

I’m only able to answer the first part. He’s made two starts at extended spring training, with a third expected today, and continues to build up innings and arm strength. I thought a possible suspension would be announced after a team signed him, but that’s not the case. So … I don’t know. Sorry.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/because-you-asked

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From Roch:

Any updates on Matt Harvey? When would a ruling take place regarding a potential suspension?

I’m only able to answer the first part. He’s made two starts at extended spring training, with a third expected today, and continues to build up innings and arm strength. I thought a possible suspension would be announced after a team signed him, but that’s not the case. So … I don’t know. Sorry.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/because-you-asked

Is there even a spot for Harvey at this point?

If the O's promoted Harvey now, he would be automatically suspended.  Would the O's still have to pay him, but the money would go to some kind of charity fund?  I'm not a fan of signing Harvey, but since they did, it would make sense to promote him if he's having any kind of success.  The earliest Harvey could see game action would be 2nd week of July.  Good chance the O's will need him if they are considering trading Lyles at the deadline.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Was there ever? He's a terrible pitcher at this point. Such a bizarre signing. 

I said "Eh" then and I'll say "Eh" now.

Until he starts taking innings from guys I think are more interesting I'm not worried about it.