John Rhodes 2022

waroriole

3 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Sounds like we got too cute playing the underslot game instead the BPA. Hard not to see this draft as a failure and likely Elias’s worst O’s draft.

Could be but of course it's way too early to say that. In fact, Cowser has been looking much better lately.  Of course, if Lawlar is an all-star ML SS it will be fair to say we should have taken him, but that doesn't mean the 2021 draft doesn't still have a chance to look good a few years down the Rhodes.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Could be but of course it's way too early to say that. In fact, Cowser has been looking much better lately.  Of course, if Lawlar is an all-star ML SS it will be fair to say we should have taken him, but that doesn't mean the 2021 draft doesn't still have a chance to look good a few years down the Rhodes.

Cowser is looking really good. OBP is now .394 and he’s hitting much better. Hopefully in a month that slow start will be in the rear view mirror. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Like many, I wished they choose Lawlar who’s looking like an all star so far. However, I agree too early, maybe Cowser or/both Rhodes become a late blooming Allstar or Austin Hays clone.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

9 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Orioles tried to make adjustments…and no bueno. 

Well they tried to get him to focus on a certain hitting zone up until 2 strikes and he struggled with that.  They also showed him some small changes that might improve his power.  It's hard to say but he certainly has a much higher percentage of extra base hits per total hits than he did last year.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Orioles tried to make adjustments…and no bueno. 

Mmmmm, I don’t know.   Cowser is showing good power this month.  It may be a case of slightly overadjusting at first and then readjusting back a little but not completely.   Too small a sample to really say.  I’m encouraged by Cowser’s recent performance but let’s see how things go over the next month or so.   I’d like him to do enough to earn a promotion to Bowie and then perform well there.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mmmmm, I don’t know.   Cowser is showing good power this month.  It may be a case of slightly overadjusting at first and then readjusting back a little but not completely.   Too small a sample to really say.  I’m encouraged by Cowser’s recent performance but let’s see how things go over the next month or so.   I’d like him to do enough to earn a promotion to Bowie and then perform well there.  

There’s a quote by him saying they tried to make adjustments to his stance and he had difficulty. Not sure what you don’t know.

52 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

There’s a quote by him saying they tried to make adjustments to his stance and he had difficulty. Not sure what you don’t know.

Clearly Frobby is saying that Stance and swing adjustments aren’t binary, there are certainly many small combinations of changes that can be kept or reverted, or adjusted. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I did see that.  Doesn’t mean he 100% abandoned what they had him doing.  

2 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Why are they making adjustments to a guy that was red hot last year?

Baseball is a game of adjustments.  He will be making adjustments next year and the year after, as well.  The idea is to continue to get better until the very last day of your career.  

9 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I don't recall a quote where they tried to change his stance.  Can you provide it?  All I remember reading is the he said they wanted him to zone in on middle to middle in pitches with less than two strikes and he was taking pitches for strikes he'd normally drive to the left side.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Why are they making adjustments to a guy that was red hot last year?

Because the guy last year was pretty much a singles hitter and they are trying to get him to tap into his power.