ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

I will understand why Tex signs with the O's, to be near family and put his hometown team back on the map. I will understand why Tex signs with the Red Sox, because objectively they are much closer to a championship year in and year out. I will never understand if he signs with the Nats. That would make zero sense. It is a junk franchise with skinflint ownership, no fans, and a buffoon GM. Why?

well put...I have no idea why Tex even thinks about the Nats at all...besides Boras wanting the money! We all know that Tex is here in town for the holidays, can you really say that he would sign with another team while he was in town?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After getting on ESPN and it being a leading story and hearing from NOT Peter Gammons about it (as much as I like Pete), I must say, I'm feeling more and more confident.

Tex has to be thinking this in my opinion: I can go to Boston and win NOW. Or I can go to...well, home to baltimore, be near my family and best friends of my life, my wife can be near her "close ties" (according to karl ravich), and i can make the same money, be a hometown hero, and hopefully during the rest of my career, help Markakis, Roberts, and a young pitching staff bring respect back to Charm City.

C'mon Mark...if you sign, I'll buy a jersey TOMORROW!!!!!

Nat's fans arn't real fans though. I go to school in VA and every self proclaimed baseball fan wearing a Nat's hat seems to think the Sux and Skanks are going to meet in the world series every year. Sounds like an ESPN intern if you ask me...

Ha! What a bunch of losers! :rofl:

Its not EVERY Year. Its more like... every other year. :scratchchinhmm:

I trust out insiders, but there is just too much evidence poiting away from the Orioles. I am feeling down as I head to the sack tonight. I think this thing is going to be over soon, and I am fearing that we're not going to have a good result. God I hope I'm wrong, but my raging optimism this morning has been tampered by the fact that NO local media is giving us anything. Not even a morsal. If what the insiders are hearing is true, someone, Roch, Schmuck, someone would have to know something. I don't like it.

Roch, responding to those who say Teixeira would play for the Nationals to be closer to home:

I'm trying to figure out the logic in his family wanting him to play for the Nats. Severna Park is closer to DC than Baltimore? He grew up cheering for the Nats? He's always dreamed of playing on the same team as Willie Harris? He figures there's less chance of Elijah Dukes punching him if they're teammates? Puzzling. - Roch

Nat's fans arn't real fans though. I go to school in VA and every self proclaimed baseball fan wearing a Nat's hat seems to think the Sux and Skanks are going to meet in the world series every year. Sounds like an ESPN intern if you ask me...

If you're a true baseball fan, you'd probably have a team. If you had a team and were a true baseball fan, you wouldn't switch allegiances so quickly (the cities are what...35 miles away?). The only instances I can see are of old Senators fans. So, maybe 5% of Nats fans are real fans?:clap3:

Nats fans make me angry but give me a good laugh/cry when I ask why they're fans.

Why is it taking so long for Tex to make a decison?

I WANT ANSWERS!

Well, for starters, the longer he waits the more gets paid.

Lets say from Day 1 he decided he wanted to wear orange... does that mean he should take the first offer the O's give him...?

I will understand why Tex signs with the O's, to be near family and put his hometown team back on the map. I will understand why Tex signs with the Red Sox, because objectively they are much closer to a championship year in and year out. I will never understand if he signs with the Nats. That would make zero sense. It is a junk franchise with skinflint ownership, no fans, and a buffoon GM. Why?

The only reasoning I can come up with on this is that having Tex as that one big name on the team would put fans in the stands in the owner's and GM's minds. But, even if they sign him and continue to put a poor product on the field around him and give him no one in front or behind him in the lineup, the fans won't stay around. Most Nats fans are "fair-weather" fans because the team is new, the city is still pumped over baseball in DC, and they may not know a whole lot about baseball. I have met many Nats fans that are surprisingly lacking even some of the basic knowledge about baseball. DC has been a football city for the past 3 or 4 decades since the Senators left and that's all these people have known growing up. But, like I said before, in the owner's and GM's minds, they feel that Tex would put more fans in the stands even with a poor product on the field.

The same could be said about the Orioles. However, almost every O's fan I run in to is very knowledgeable about both baseball and the Orioles because before the Ravens came along, Baltimore was a baseball city since the Colts left. Granted, PGA has produced some poor products on the field since 1997, but there have been seasons where the Orioles have actually been relatively competitive until injuries struck. I, for one, feel that this will be the year that the Orioles play .500 ball or better should they sign Tex.

Archived