Tyler Nevin 2022

Yardball85

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If you think Gutierrez defense is bad just wait.  

He had a pretty rough day yesterday. I was hopeful that he could hit a little coming out of ST but he never really got going.

There's two other guys that I would rather see gone over Gutierrez though.

I just want to see the guys who we know don’t have any present or future value like Odor, Owings, and Gutierrez cycled out of here ASAP. 

Not a big believer in Nevin but maybe he will surprise.  Let’s keep them coming….Jones, Bannon and whoever else is behind them. Too bad Vavra went down to injury. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Santander not in the lineup Roch said not sure hurt or rest day 

Just guessing here, but he had that on-base streak going until last night, so a rest day tonight seems to make sense?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure why Gutierrez is on the roster if they felt a need to pull up Nevin to play 3B. This is such a weird roster with a bench of Gutierrez, Benboom, Owings and McKenna. That might possibly be the worse hitting bench in all of baseball. I can't imagine a worse one. 

Just guessing here. I couldn't agree with you more about the anemic bench...

But maybe because he can move around a lot? Maybe fill in for Santander later in the game, since AS isn't in the lineup tonight?

(From Roch:)

Hyde can move him around to other corner positions in the infield and outfield.

42 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Looks like the youth movement is slowly beginning. Hopefully Nevin holds down the 3B job until Gunnar and Westburg are ready. Nevin's bat is badly needed. 

I’m not expecting Nevin to be a savior.  The guy had a .696 OPS last season in AAA, .744 in AA in 2019.    He’s been off to a hot start this year, which is great, but I’ll be surprised if he’s anything more than a modest offensive upgrade, if that.   And despite the errors yesterday, Gutierrez has the better glove.

I do see some value in shaking things up a little.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not expecting Nevin to be a savior.  The guy had a .696 OPS last season in AAA, .744 in AA in 2019.    He’s been off to a hot start this year, which is great, but I’ll be surprised if he’s anything more than a modest offensive upgrade, if that.   And despite the errors yesterday, Gutierrez has the better glove.

I do see some value in shaking things up a little.  

Yeah his track record before this season is pretty poor. So your probably right but the O's saw something in him to want to call him up. 

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure why Gutierrez is on the roster if they felt a need to pull up Nevin to play 3B. This is such a weird roster with a bench if Gutierrez, Bembroom, Owings and McKenna. That might possibly be the worse hitting bench in all of baseball. I can;t imagine a worse one. 

Yes, I'm afraid it is and they proved it again tonight.

Nevin is not the long term answer.  I’m just happy they are giving him a few weeks of better pay as a reward for his hot start.  More importantly , it clears our an IF position at Norfolk and starts the dominoes falling.  Would be nice to see him have some moderate success and make it difficult for team to move him off third, but I’m not holding my breath for that.  

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure why Gutierrez is on the roster if they felt a need to pull up Nevin to play 3B. This is such a weird roster with a bench if Gutierrez, Bembroom, Owings and McKenna. That might possibly be the worse hitting bench in all of baseball. I can;t imagine a worse one. 

I personally can't wait until May 2 when 2 of these options will have to go. Do I have that right?

On 4/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, Tony-OH said:

Nevin starting against the righty Eovaldi as well as the lefty Hill yesterday.

Last night for the 27th out, Hyde going to Owings not Gutierrez seemed odd to me.   Could be a day to day thing, but it seems possible that Kelvin Gutierrez's 3-month tryout is over, and Tyler Nevin's opportunity for regular at-bats for a little while is here, if he can show the glove is day-to-day playable at the MLB level.

57 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Nevin starting against the righty Eovaldi as well as the lefty Hill yesterday.

Last night for the 27th out, Hyde going to Owings not Gutierrez seemed odd to me.   Could be a day to day thing, but it seems possible that Kelvin Gutierrez's 3-month tryout is over, and Tyler Nevin's opportunity for regular at-bats for a little while is here, if he can show the glove is day-to-day playable at the MLB level.

That is interesting.  It could be that Owings is going to be kept d/t positional flexibility and Gutierrez is going to be cut.  2 out Owings, Gutierrez and Odor need to go.  I would prefer it be Owings and Odor, but can understand if it's Gutierrez and Odor.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:52 PM, jabba72 said:

Looks like the youth movement is slowly beginning. Hopefully Nevin holds down the 3B job until Gunnar and Westburg are ready. Nevin's bat is badly needed. 

I hope Nevin isn’t part of the youth movement.  I want good players for that.