Roster move- Chris Vallimont added to AA

eddie83

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Off to a good start despite some ugly numbers before coming to the O's. 

8 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 3 BB, 8 K

5 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 10K

Small sample but enough to raise an eyebrow. 

I actually think the O's are going to need him to make a start soon, maybe even the next time we need a starter.

Vallimont is already 25, he's stretched out, and he's hot. He was a pretty highly ranked prospect for the Twins, and he's basically potential found money for us. Better option that Voth in my opinion, even though Voth miraculously gave us a few scoreless innings today.

Would be a hell of a waiver claim if we can get some decent innings with a high K rate out of Vallimont this season. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Off to a good start despite some ugly numbers before coming to the O's. 

8 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 3 BB, 8 K

5 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 10K

Small sample but enough to raise an eyebrow. 

That’s positive. AA but still good to see. How long does he last on the 40 man.

I'm so confused by Vallimont. Obviously three games at AA is the definition of SSS, but I don't understand how he's looked so good in three starts in Bowie after struggling in AA in both 2021 and 2022 for Minnesota. 

He was solid in 2019 in the minors. Perhaps he was one of those guys really impacted by the missed 2020 season. His numbers indicate he was lost since then. I'm curious how long he continues to pitch well and if that can hold in AAA and MLB. I doubt it. 

Overall, I'm not holding out any hope that Vallimont is anything but a guy to throw some innings (basically Thomas Eshelman--albiet with different stuff). 

16 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was going to ask why would a team DFA a guy like that, but then I checked his stats. Admittedly I don't know much about advanced metrics, but I don't think he's going to be much help other than possibly eating some innings.

Sometimes all it takes is a change in delivery. We saw the same results with Brad Brach when he arrived in Baltimore. You saw it with Arietta with the Cubs and there are countless examples for other clubs. Coaches are really good at what they do and if the arm plays and they think they can fix them, you get results like we are seeing.

5 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Overall, I'm not holding out any hope that Vallimont is anything but a guy to throw some innings (basically Thomas Eshelman--albiet with different stuff). 

I saw a guy at the game on Sunday wearing an Eshelman jersey!   It left me wondering where the hell he got it and why he’d want to wear it.  He didn’t look to be the right age to be Eshelman’s father, brother or close friend - I’d say the guy was late 30’s/early 40’s.    

Is there a Villamont jersey available?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw a guy at the game on Sunday wearing an Eshelman jersey!   It left me wondering where the hell he got it and why he’d want to wear it.  He didn’t look to be the right age to be Eshelman’s father, brother or close friend - I’d say the guy was late 30’s/early 40’s.    

Is there a Villamont jersey available?

Maybe it was Vaughn Eshelman wearing his actual jersey.  Did it say Bowie on it?   Haha

• Haha 1

Looks like they let him pitch tonight instead of “working on something” and he retired 11 in a row over his first 4IP with only three baserunners in a piggyback type of outing behind DL Hall. Saw him use several pitches effectively.

He walked one.

His first baserunner was actually a great play but Gutierrez had his foot off the bag at first when picking the low throw, scored an E3.

The other baserunner was a FC on the back end of a potential DP that Westburg couldn’t turn quickly enough.

Final line 5IP 0H 0R 1BB 6K. 

• Upvote 1

I was inor

7 minutes ago, justD said:

Looks like they let him pitch tonight instead of “working on something” and he retired 11 in a row over his first 4IP with only three baserunners in a piggyback type of outing behind DL Hall. Saw him use several pitches effectively.

He walked one.

His first baserunner was actually a great play but Gutierrez had his foot off the bag at first when picking the low throw, scored an E3.

The other baserunner was a FC on the back end of a potential DP that Westburg couldn’t turn quickly enough.

Final line 5IP 0H 0R 1BB 6K. 

I was impressed.  He is also a massive human being.  Gotta love that frame.  

• Upvote 1