Underrated: Trey Mancini

Frobby

16 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

This is endearing and brings back memories of cindyluvsbrady. I think she used to say this about Brian Roberts back in the day. She was the first Hangouter I ever met, at Cal's induction to the HOF.

Yep! Def a legend! I believe it was Brady Anderson. 

17 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Good stuff. It's really amazing how well his career has played out because I really don't remember a lot of hype or recognition from him in the Minors. 

I agree that it's probably a pipe dream that Stowers puts up a 10 career WAR. I think he will probably hit for more power than Trey but at an OBP and average hit.

Whoever chose sticking with Trey and trading Christian Walker made the right choice.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It's amazing Walker actually is still playing in the majors.  I thought he would be a guy that would get a cup of coffee and be done.

Not just that, but he is 3rd in the NL in HR right now and for 2019-2022 (with Trey missing the shortened season of course) some of their numbers are pretty close.    Fangraphs thinks waay better defense for Walker actually brings 4-year WAR level.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=1b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=1000&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2019-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=22,d

It isn't quite deserving AL All-Star Jonah Heim, but Walker has done pretty well for himself.

When Boras secured his ownership level meeting with Angelos about Davis circa January 2016, Walker had just in 2015 only managed a .750 OPS in a full Norfolk year while Mancini had gone .900+ a level behind him.

Back on Mancini, one of the things I've heard about the squishy balls is that relative to the more uppercut world of the last decade, it's put some value back on a flatter line drive approach and it's been nice seeing him a complete and smart enough hitter to adapt some to that in a way that say Joey Gallo hasn't or can't.    He and CJ Cron are outplaying Jesus Aguilar a good deal so far this year.

On 10/8/2012 at 6:59 PM, cindyluvsbrady said:

AWWWWW!!! Yeah WEAMS is awesome!!!:)

I also have to add MY PERFECT ONE:hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts: 

Brian Roberts!!!

I love him!!!:hearts:

8 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Yep! Def a legend! I believe it was Brady Anderson. 

Oh, she loved Brady, yes indeed. But this is why I always remember that phrase from her about Roberts, quoted above. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Back on Mancini, one of the things I've heard about the squishy balls is that relative to the more uppercut world of the last decade, it's put some value back on a flatter line drive approach and it's been nice seeing him a complete and smart enough hitter to adapt some to that in a way that say Joey Gallo hasn't or can't.    He and CJ Cron are outplaying Jesus Aguilar a good deal so far this year.

Certain swing types are definitely benefiting while others are struggling with these balls.

Everyone is so eager to push Trey out the door but he's the type of obp guy we'd need to turn around and try to sign/acquire. Because the minor league positional depth just isn't that great. And on top of that no team is giving us some top prospect for Trey. I mean, I guess you could package him with a bullpen arm or do Mancini plus Mullins and get a haul but, again, do we have the depth to do that.

My eagerness to push Trey out the door is to do that man a solid and let his baseball talents be engaged in some useful purpose this summer.

I believe a dogpile chance this year increases the odds he'd take a sweetheart deal to come back here in 2023.   If he doesn't get that this summer, of course he should prioritize that every kid's dream in selecting next year's team.

Downballot letting MLB pitchers strike out Kyle Stowers 30-35% of the time as they are going to do in his first couple hundred plate appearances is something I'd really rather see in 2022 than 2023.   For him the economic calculus isn't even club control of his Age 32 season or whatever it'd be when he'll be lucky to be in the league at all, but more about are you trying to keep him out of arb as long into the Adley years as possible.    Please let Stowers test himself as a 2023 piece or not now.

Its Mike Elias' job to hold Mancini eight more weeks and see if a good run gets a B- prospect because that's in the range of outcomes, but naively being a fan I'd be proud of our organization if he is his normal self in mid-July we simply gave him a DFA and let him and his team pick the go-cart to roll down hill with.

Mancini likely won’t get the 5/100 that Nick Castellanos got, but they are pretty similar. Mancini is going to get more than what we’re thinking in FA, especially with having another full season remover from cancer, and the NL having a DH. People have been saying 3/45. I think that would be the starting point and he’d likely choose more years over AAV. 

I'd like to keep him if I had my way.  I believe he's closer to that 2019 player and he's showing that this year.  He's rebounded nicely from cancer.  

He's a fan favorite, and a face of the franchise.  

Unfortunately, he's probably not going to wind up here, but I wish he would.  IMO, he could be part of the solution as he's certainly not part of the problem.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd like to keep him if I had my way.  I believe he's closer to that 2019 player and he's showing that this year.  He's rebounded nicely from cancer.  

He's a fan favorite, and a face of the franchise.  

Unfortunately, he's probably not going to wind up here, but I wish he would.  IMO, he could be part of the solution as he's certainly not part of the problem.

As a fan of the guy, I hope he gets as far away from this mess as possible.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As a fan of the guy, I hope he gets as far away from this mess as possible.

Yeah, I don't totally disagree with that either.  

I believe he's said he likes it here and wants to be here.  It's hard to tell if guys are telling the truth when they say that...obviously, it sounds good, especially when the team is losing.  But I think he's being truthful when he says that.  I hope he is, anyway.  

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What happened to her?

It’s been a very long time, but when I asked Weams about her several years ago, I was told she had a debilitating illness. And I really don’t recall any news beyond that. I will search my email archive when I get home from this road trip. Her last activity on the board was 2015. 

On 6/5/2022 at 1:35 AM, NashLumber said:

This is endearing and brings back memories of cindyluvsbrady. I think she used to say this about Brian Roberts back in the day. She was the first Hangouter I ever met, at Cal's induction to the HOF.

I had the same "cindyluvsbrady" thought even before your comment.  I guess that's how deeply ingrained the OH is in our subconscious.  😂

• Like 1