Mountcastle sure seems to like June

Frobby

Half of June in the books and Mountcastle has equaled his HR total for April/May combined.  For the month he’s now hitting .286/.345/.776, with 6 homers and 13 RBI in 13 games.

Last year he hit .327/.382/.634 in June, with 9 homers and 26 RBI in 26 games.  

• Upvote 2

The article on orioles.com was enlightening yesterday. https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/ryan-mountcastle-homers-in-orioles-win-over-blue-jays

Didn't realize he had been so unlucky, and his batted ball stats were so impressive...and here I was starting to have my doubts whether we could even be sure he was going to make it here. 

Would like to see him walk more, though, if I have one critique, his BA/OBP delta has gone from last season's .54 to this season's .39, which is a bit worrying. 

• Upvote 1

I sure doesn't like April/March ... .220/.250/.310/.560 in 176 PAs. His monthly splits are a bit weird. He hits like Babe Ruth in June and August and not very good every other month. It would be nice for him to find a little more consistency because these long stretches where he struggles hurts the team.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Man’s a beast.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He'd be more of a beast if he weren't such a slow starter.

You know, I hear the team “beast” thrown around with respect to Mountcastle more than any other Oriole. All I can say is, some people have a much more generous definition of “beast” than I do.   Vlad Jr.?   Aaron Judge?  Those are my idea of what a beast looks like.   Mountcastle is nowhere near that level of player, nor do I expect him to become one.   That’s no criticism of him; not many players are at that level.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, I hear the team “beast” thrown around with respect to Mountcastle more than any other Oriole. All I can say is, some people have a much more generous definition of “beast” than I do.   Vlad Jr.?   Aaron Judge?  Those are my idea of what a beast looks like.   Mountcastle is nowhere near that level of player, nor do I expect him to become one.   That’s no criticism of him; not many players are at that level.   

Yea, it’s a really poor way to describe Mountcastle.

8 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

The article on orioles.com was enlightening yesterday. https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/ryan-mountcastle-homers-in-orioles-win-over-blue-jays

Didn't realize he had been so unlucky, and his batted ball stats were so impressive...and here I was starting to have my doubts whether we could even be sure he was going to make it here. 

Would like to see him walk more, though, if I have one critique, his BA/OBP delta has gone from last season's .54 to this season's .39, which is a bit worrying. 

He needs to be a .285 plus hitter.  

Big difference between hitting .250 and .290. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The way I look at it has a physical as well as a performance aspect to it, like the original Beast, Jiimmie Foxx. The Orioles haven't had a guy I would think of as beastly since Chris Davis. And he became very civilized very quickly.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, I hear the team “beast” thrown around with respect to Mountcastle more than any other Oriole. All I can say is, some people have a much more generous definition of “beast” than I do.

He's a beast against the Blue Jays

Mountcastle's long term streakiness has become an issue. Even if his numbers looks good at the end of the year, if he can not find a way to be more consistent throughout the year he's not an effective player to be on a winning team. The Orioles buried themselves over the first six weeks of the season in no small part due to Mountcastle's absolutely horrid start to the season. He had a similar slow start in 2021.

Since he doesn't have much of a walk tool, he needs to be able to hit for average along with power to provide value. 

You have wonder if being a Florida kid, whether the cold weather really affects him. He struggled in 2017 in his first year in the minors in April, but really didn't have terrible numbers in other years early on. Either way, whether it's weather related or he's just a slow starter, it would be nice if he could find a way to limit those long cold spells where he struggles. 

• Upvote 3