Who do you want? Who do we take?

CB's National H.S. Player of The Year is SS Jackson Holliday of Stillwater H.S. (OK). He hit .685 over 40 games with 29 doubles, 6 triples, 17 homers, 79 RBI, scored 74 runs and stole 30 bases

I don't know the competition he played against, but these numbers are insanely good, especially if he's likely to stick at SS

Edited by baltimoreO's22

50 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

True. He also liked Adam Hall a lot.  Still, I respect his opinion and it matches my suspicions.

Don’t get me wrong, I give some credence to his opinions and the other factors you mention are concerning.   I find it interesting that MLB Pipeline apparently hasn’t soured on Johnson at all though.   I have no idea what other intel is out there, and of course, don’t know what the O’s thought of Johnson’s workout at OPACY.  I’ve never been one to form hard and fast opinions about the top prospects because I neither have all the relevant information nor the scouting chops to analyze a player.   But, it’s interesting to follow the horse race at the top.   

No idea who they WILL take.  Gun to my head right now I'd say Holliday but no conviction at all there.

I also have no idea who they should take.  I'll be excited regardless of who it is (I'd prefer a high upside HS over Lee or Berry), I think I'd be most excited about Termarr Johnson with his supposed hit tool.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Law also said Joey Ortiz was our no. 7 prospect and would probably be in the majors by August.   

It only matters what Elias & co. think.   

He is far from infallible but I also don’t buy the best HS hitter in 20 years bs either.

I don't love Johnson's numbers in the wood bat league, but the spread of opinion on his hit tool, and therefore his prospect ranking (mlb pipeline is also quoted as saying several scouts have him at #1) is a good reminder that there really isn't as much consensus on prospects as some of the rankings would have us believe. If Holliday can play SS, then that's who I would pick, SS is just more valuable then CF. 

(also in the tweet about Elias visiting Holliday, the word "say" is doing a lot of work)

• Upvote 1

Has this meeting with Holliday in St. Louis been reported anywhere else and how reputable is the source that did report it?

Watching video of Holliday, his swing looks a little long but maybe it's mostly his follow through.  I feel like Jones is safer.  Maybe it's just because I've had more time to digest the idea and information on him.  Those HS stats on Holliday are insane!

Watched highlights on Brooks Lee.  Looks like he has a lot of power from the left side.  Not nearly as much RH.  LH he has plenty of power and shoots the ball all over.

3 hours ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

CB's National H.S. Player of The Year is SS Jackson Holliday of Stillwater H.S. (OK). He hit .685 over 40 games with 29 doubles, 6 triples, 17 homers, 79 RBI, scored 74 runs and stole 30 bases

I don't know the competition he played against, but these numbers are insanely good, especially if he's likely to stick at SS

I imagine Oklahoma has some pretty solid competition.  Geogia competition is definitely top tier when it comes to HS baseball.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He is far from infallible but I also don’t buy the best HS hitter in 20 years bs either.

Interesting that folks on here are using Law's takes / skepticism to put other players (Holliday / Lee etc.) ahead of Johnson when Law himself has Johnson 3rd behind Jones and Collier. 

I have this feeling that the O's like to build a player's ideal swing, which leads me to believe that they look for the tools more than the current swing.

So if that's the case, I doubt they go with Johnson unless he's essentially already at or near the type of swing they want to build.

Jones or Holiday for me.

• Like 1

And as an aside, Andruw Jones earned $128 million through baseball. Matt Holliday earned almost $160 million.

I'm not saying they'll try to drive their children to a preferred destination, but they do fit the profile of people who have the luxury of doing that. See Manning, Eli.

And I have no idea if the O's are a preferred destination based on their current player development, or less of one based on their ownership situation. I'd probably be neutral if I were about to be drafted by them. Certainly a better destination than some orgs.

10 minutes ago, TheWall said:

Interesting that folks on here are using Law's takes / skepticism to put other players (Holliday / Lee etc.) ahead of Johnson when Law himself has Johnson 3rd behind Jones and Collier. 

I'm using his opinion in conjunction with some video I've seen of Johnson plus those summer league stats he's putting up right now to say "red flag" for me.   I guess he's confirming some doubts and, yes, it's interesting that he still has him that high despite not agreeing with the 70 hit tool.  In the end, who knows but I feel uneasy about  Johnson.  Now, if the Orioles pop him at #1 I'll hope those red flags were nothing more than a bad game and some rust instead of a player with one of the most overrated bats in draft history.  Who was the 2B/CF from North Carolina the Mariners signed?

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm using his opinion in conjunction with some video I've seen of Johnson plus those summer league stats he's putting up right now to say "red flag" for me.   I guess he's confirming some doubts and, yes, it's interesting that he still has him that high despite not agreeing with the 70 hit tool.  In the end, who knows but I feel uneasy about  Johnson.  Now, if the Orioles pop him at #1 I'll hope those red flags were nothing more than a bad game and some rust.

What league is Johnson playing in this summer?

50 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm using his opinion in conjunction with some video I've seen of Johnson plus those summer league stats he's putting up right now to say "red flag" for me.   I guess he's confirming some doubts and, yes, it's interesting that he still has him that high despite not agreeing with the 70 hit tool.  In the end, who knows but I feel uneasy about  Johnson.  Now, if the Orioles pop him at #1 I'll hope those red flags were nothing more than a bad game and some rust instead of a player with one of the most overrated bats in draft history.  Who was the 2B/CF from North Carolina the Mariners signed?

It seems like a guy w/ maybe the "best HS bat in the last 20 years" would dominate whatever wooden bat league he was in.  Raises lots of questions about Termarr.  I would be surprised if the O's don't have someone there.