Szymborski: The Orioles aren’t good…but they are interesting

Frobby

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-orioles-arent-good-but-they-are-interesting/

The article summarizes a bunch of prospects and young major leaguers who have improved their long-term ZiPS projections via their play so far this year.

“Of the top 15 O’s prospects in our preseason rankings, only a single player, Kyle Bradish, has seen his career WAR projection go down in ZiPS. That’s progress.”

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Betcha he didn't think they were interesting 2 months ago. 

Well, he is a Baltimore area native.  But clearly they are more interesting than two months ago.  That’s kind of the point of the article.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-orioles-arent-good-but-they-are-interesting/

The article summarizes a bunch of prospects and young major leaguers who have improved their long-term ZiPS projections via their play so far this year.

“Of the top 15 O’s prospects in our preseason rankings, only a single player, Kyle Bradish, has seen his career WAR projection go down in ZiPS. That’s progress.”

Ok... I'll say it...  They're knocking on the door of "good".

Some people have been bemoaning the state of our prospect development this year.  The article says 14 out of 15 of our top prospects, including Grayson btw, have improved their career ZiPS projections this season.  I'd say that's a hell of a year for the farm.

Not to mention, what has been going on at the ML level.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Some people have been bemoaning the state of our prospect development this year.  The article says 14 out of 15 of our top prospects, including Grayson btw, have improved their career ZiPS projections this season.  I'd say that's a hell of a year for the farm.

Not to mention, what has been going on at the ML level.

I was bemoaning it BEFORE this year, not so much during.   Also, most of my bemoanifying was pointed at pitching development, and while this year has seen some major steps forward, I still have concerns.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that 16 of our top 17 prospects (per the MLB Pipeline list, I think) are at Bowie or higher now.   That’s a lot of talent coming all at once.   You have to think we’ll be making some trades, both to fill some pitching needs and perhaps restock the lower levels of the system a bit.   Of course, the 2022 draft, where we have a ton of high picks, should help with restocking the system too.  

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I was bemoaning it BEFORE this year, not so much during.   Also, most of my bemoanifying was pointed at pitching development, and while this year has seen some major steps forward, I still have concerns.

I wasn't really trying to call anybody out specifically, least of all you.

The mood seemed to darken after Grasyon got injured imo.  And it was way darker than the reality.

Personally, I'm thrilled.  The ML team is way better than I thought it would be.  And if you'd told me they were doing this without Grayson or Means I wouldn't have believed it.

And the MiLs, while not perfect, seems to be going very well.  Basically, all of our important prospects, with the exception of Cowser, and Grayson due to a non-arm injury, have held serve or better in their development, and many more have done better than merely tread water.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, owknows said:

Ok... I'll say it...  They're knocking on the door of "good".

The right development and additions to the team and they should contend for a playoff birth next year.

Which is funny because I was told that I shouldn’t expect that but I have been saying that is what 2023 should be.

I'm still hopeful in late September it all gets on to the field a week or two for closing arguments to every available player in the 2022-23 offseason, including champions who already have set for life money that to me means more dogpile opportunities are a big thing to care about*.

Grayson, Hall, Gunnar, Westburg.    Games 153-156 at Fenway and 160-162 here against Vlad with playoff implications.

*unless you are Kris Bryant needing to counteract painful earnings suppression

Can we just get these Gausman quotes stickied for the duration of his Blue Jays contract?

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2374326

Let's hold the AL East to one playoff berth!

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The right development and additions to the team and they should contend for a playoff birth next year.

Which is funny because I was told that I shouldn’t expect that but I have been saying that is what 2023 should be.

Then what were you complaining about?

All people fundamentally disagreed with you about was that trading for Paul DeJong was going to speed the process up.

What was going to speed the process up was having developmental breakthroughs with multiple players.

Well, that's what they've done.

We should all be thrilled.

• Upvote 2