2022 1st Round Pick (#1): Jackson Holliday, - SS - Stillwater HS (OK)

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta wonder if they had some idea of a range in which he’d sign for if they picked him. Picking first overall has its advantages and that’s certainly one of them. 

I think it’s possible they had Holiday #1 on the board.  I wouldn’t discount that.  I would have for basically everyone else.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta wonder if they had some idea of a range in which he’d sign for if they picked him. Picking first overall has its advantages and that’s certainly one of them. 

100% they know his number. I don't even think that's a question.

• Upvote 4

If they took Holliday because they think he's the best prospect, or most likely to succeed based on observable ability, projection, and character - good pick.

If they took him to save money when they have a pool that doesn't require it for later oversign - bad pick.

Evaluating a pick based on internet scouts is silly, IMO.

1 minute ago, Mizerooskie said:

If they took Holliday because they think he's the best prospect, or most likely to succeed based on observable ability, projection, and character - good pick.

If they took him to save money when they have a pool that doesn't require it for later oversign - bad pick.

Evaluating a pick based on internet scouts is silly, IMO.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but there is also a world where they think he's the best prospect and that they can save some money. I'm not making that argument, per se, but the two possibilities aren't necessarily mutually exclusive from the perspective of the Orioles.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Do you actually the MLB postseason?  Most teams get their starters out by the 6th inning.
    • The whole “the key with Crochet” is exactly why trading for him makes no sense. On top of that, how does he bounce back next year after throwing so many more innings than he ever has? Im not questioning his talent, his upside, age, service time or anything.  It’s all on the side of the team that has him. But they are going to want multiple top 50 type prospects for a guy with ace potential and a lot of service time.  His name shouldn’t even be mentioned imo.
    • Suarez has not had one single quality start this season. While I love what he has given us, he is the classic definition of a “5 and dive” pitcher, which is fine, especially for the regular season as long as you have other starters (like Burnes) who can give consistent length. The problem with that for the post season is that forces your middle relievers into the game against teams with the best offenses. I’m not confident that the odds are necessarily stacked in our favor in some of those matchups. But hey you never know, Akin sure surprised me on Friday with a stellar outing.
    • What do the Rangers do at the deadline? Do they just stand pat and hope next year goes better?
    • I don’t think he’s worth Holliday/Mayo/Basallo level just because of the injury/innings limit concerns, but he’s pitching this year like one of the best SP in baseball and has 2.5 years of control (which will be cheap years in arb, considering he’s gone through once at just over league min).  The key with Crochet is he has to still be starting in the playoffs to get full value from him then. That means either you let him keep rolling and hope the innings don’t catch up, or you do load management by some combination of skipping starts, pitch count limits and/or shifting him to the pen. I could see a team using Crochet as a RP until September and then stretching him back out before the playoffs when you have expanded rosters to help bridge the innings during the initial shorter starts. But it’d be pretty wild to see a team pay what it’s going to take for him to then immediately shelf him like that. 
    • This has been discussed a ton over the years.  It hasn’t been many but there have been a few. Jared Weaver was one. Searching through here or on google will give you the info.     But none of that matters imo. He’s not turning down that contract.  There is nothing but upside for him with that type of deal.  Now, maybe instead of 7 guaranteed years, we now get 6 (ie, we didn’t sign him to the deal before this season started, so that’s one less guaranteed year on the deal) but he’s not turning it down. 
    • Zero chance he turns it down.  The money in that deal is essentially his best case scenario. Zippy chance.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now