Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you like what you see from the 18y/o and Povich.  I think we can agree that the other 2 have some upside but there is a lot of risk and far more likely they become nothing.

The return isn’t enough to justify dealing Lopez imo, especially since you should be a contender in 2023.

You are correct.   The 18 year old has very good stats in the FCL.   This could be like drafting a 1st round HS LHP.  I don't know anything about his stuff.   He's listed at 6' 165 so he's not a big kid.   Povich has some upside.    Yennier could be a bullpen piece.   Really not sure about the 21 yo in the FCL.   He's a short RHP at 5'10".    I assume they are both good arms.   That's the thing.   If it's just Povich and Diaz it's underwhelming.   This 18 yo lefty could be the key.

Just now, Surhoffan17 said:

I do have a concern over the morale of the team.  I know they know it's a rebuild but you trade one really good clubhouse guy and another who found himself in the pen.  Also, we may be a mirage but we are 1 game above .500 and technically contending.  How are these players supposed to feel when they see this happening?  

Well I'm sure they don't feel good and the current team is getting worse with every move. It's unfortunate cause it has been a fun season and gave the fan base some hope for possible WC game but that isn't going to happen now.

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

Lopez is 29, has no track record of ML success, and we got 4 pitchers for him. I think it's fine. It's not great. It's fine. 

This is the correct take.  He's had one good half-year in the majors and we got 4 pitchers to shore up depth in the minors.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm surprised by your reaction.  Do you know anything about the 2 pitching prospects in the FCL?

I know they're in the FCL (& one is old for the league). I don't mind trades that set us up for a run starting in '23. This trade makes us worse in '23 and probably '24 as well. The FCL kids are 3-4 years away at best. I wasn't expecting the Orioles to push for the play-offs in 2022, but I'm not here for a never-ending rebuild either. And when the return pieces on all your trades are in High-A at best...that's what you're setting up for. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You are correct.   The 18 year old has very good stats in the FCL.   This could be like drafting a 1st round HS LHP.  I don't know anything about his stuff.   He's listed at 6' 165 so he's not a big kid.   Povich has some upside.    Yennier could be a bullpen piece.   Really not sure about the 21 yo in the FCL.   He's a short RHP at 5'10".    I assume they are both good arms.   That's the thing.   If it's just Povich and Diaz it's underwhelming.   This 18 yo lefty could be the key.

Sure he could…still wouldn’t make the move without a better headline piece.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you like what you see from the 18y/o and Povich.  I think we can agree that the other 2 have some upside but there is a lot of risk and far more likely they become nothing.

The return isn’t enough to justify dealing Lopez imo, especially since you should be a contender in 2023.

I think the contender in 2023 part is what bothers me about this trade. I think you’re correct. I don’t see how this trade in anyway helps that unless Lopez’ Arb 2 salary will be used to acquire someone (likely a SP) in free agency or trade who will help next year’s team. I am repeating myself but a quantity deal doesn’t make sense given that we are purportedly entering a “championship window” or whatever Elias said yesterday.