DL Hall to the pen now?

Frobby

With Lopez’s departure spreading our bullpen mix a bit thin, I’m wondering if now’s the time to bring up DL Hall and have him finish the year in the major league bullpen.   He probably doesn’t have enough innings left in the season to play out the whole year as a starter, so this could be a way to expose him to the majors, help solve a bullpen depth problem for the rest of this season and position him to audition for a rotation spot next spring.   Thoughts?

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With Lopez’s departure spreading our bullpen mix a bit thin, I’m wondering if now’s the time to bring up DL Hall and have him finish the year in the major league bullpen.   He probably doesn’t have enough innings left in the season to play out the whole year as a starter, so this could be a way to expose him to the majors, help solve a bullpen depth problem for the rest of this season and position him to audition for a rotation spot next spring.   Thoughts?

I suggested it a month ago.  Of course, he did have some dominant starts in AAA since then with control but I still like the idea of getting his feet wet as a reliever.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be opposed but I think they want to keep him with regular innings and I don't know how many innings he has left this year anyway. I think they just want to get this guy through a full, healthy season and have him ready at some point next year. 

Strong disagree. Elias is very clearly not planning to win this season. So why punt on Hall’s development as a starter, which is a far bigger deal long term? Hall brought up to the pen feels like a win now move, and that’s clearly not where the Orioles are. 

and vespi has been good when up here 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Strong disagree. Elias is very clearly not planning to win this season. So why punt on Hall’s development as a starter, which is a far bigger deal long term? Hall brought up to the pen feels like a win now move, and that’s clearly not where the Orioles are. 

and vespi has been good when up here 

It would be more about getting his feet wet in the majors.  Can't expect him to come in next year and immediately dominate.  Get him up with the team and get him acclimated and ready for next year.

And don't send down Vespi.  Send down Sulser.