Perspective: August 18, 2021

Frobby

24 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

After years of Duquette, who I actually think did a good job given his circumstances, it's nice to have a GM whose every move isn't mortgaging the future for today.

But Stowers and Henderson should be up in September.

Buck mortgaged the future, not Duq.

That said, the team won a lot for 5 years with those guys. I’ll take winning over a good farm system ranking.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, production isn’t why they aren’t bringing these guys up.  It’s all about the 45 day thing and trying to look long term for every move.

Yup. I can handle a losing season where we just flat out tank. I can handle trading away Mancini and Lopez. I can’t handle the game three lineups and not calling up supplemental bats when our pitchers are pulling off miracles. 

Yep.  Doesn’t mean he would have done that here but as I have said, I think a little more regression in his ERA was in order.

That said, if he was here, would others be struggling?  Are they mentally the same, knowing there is a liter more pressure on them to perform.

We don’t know any of this.  We can’t just look at the idea that he let up 2 runs in 1 game and that jumped up his numbers and just assume he would be doing the same here.

I mean sure, we don't know. He could have been rollerblading to the game on Brady's old route and saved a kid from being hit by a bus. Or he could have fallen asleep in Marty Cordova's tanning bed.

Buck mortgaged the future, not Duq.

Duquette had the title and the responsibility.  If Buck told him to trade Hader, Rodriguez and Davies and the rest and he didn't like it he could have taken it to ol' Pete, or he could have quit.

And yes, I like winning, too.  But I want this team to win for years and not have another collapse.  Part of that is long-term planning and not treating the farm as just a tool you leverage to win right now.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

The fact that people are worked up is a good thing. It shows passion for the team. 

The last 4 years although I still watched I was completely disengaged in terms of caring much whether we won or lost. That’s not a good thing. 

Whether we agree on what moves to make or how highly we think of this 2022 team playing meaningful baseball in August is what has brought all this out. Let’s hope we do that and more for a long time.  

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Duquette had the title and the responsibility.  If Buck told him to trade Hader, Rodriguez and Davies and the rest and he didn't like it he could have taken it to ol' Pete, or he could have quit.

And yes, I like winning, too.  But I want this team to win for years and not have another collapse.  Part of that is long-term planning and not treating the farm as just a tool you leverage to win right now.

Pete went with Buck.

Bringing up Gunnar on Aug 1 wouldn’t have mortgaged the future.  

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Pete went with Buck.

Bringing up Gunnar on Aug 1 wouldn’t have mortgaged the future.  

22 days before gaining another year?  1 year....maybe 150+ games.  For 15 games.

That is literally selling tomorrow for today.

And granted, it does not have to go that way for everyone and Elias will have to prove that he will avoid that...and even though he has shown with Vavra is that he will bring em up.  At 25, Vavra isn't Adley or Gunnar.

Under the new rules, it would seem ideal to bring Gunnar up after the 23rd or whatever the magic date is and then have him on opening day next year.  Anything other than that is without question maximizing today over tomorrow.

It's ok to to want it now and it's ok to disagree when that isn't what happens.  If the plan works...everyone will say they knew it all along...and if it doesn't.  Well...then it will be very similar to the last 40ish years...easy to point out all the ways they got it wrong.

For the life of me, I think there are people who enjoy that the most.

48 minutes ago, foxfield said:

22 days before gaining another year?  1 year....maybe 150+ games.  For 15 games.

And granted, it does not have to go that way for everyone and Elias will have to prove that he will avoid that...and even though he has shown with Vavra is that he will bring em up.  At 25, Vavra isn't Adley or Gunnar.

Under the new rules, it would seem ideal to bring Gunnar up after the 23rd or whatever the magic date is and then have him on opening day next year.  Anything other than that is without question maximizing today over tomorrow.

It's ok to to want it now and it's ok to disagree when that isn't what happens.  If the plan works...everyone will say they knew it all along...and if it doesn't.  Well...then it will be very similar to the last 40ish years...easy to point out all the ways they got it wrong.

Yes, I think giving him a lot more games this year and giving us a better chance to win is more important than some extra year that may or may be important to begin with.  Not to mention it gives him that much more experience for 2023, which is obviously important.(unless you think we should still be trying to lose which, maybe you do)

I’m glad you are ok with losing and not fielding the best product.  That’s fine.  

Personally, I enjoy winning more.

Edited by Sports Guy

39 minutes ago, foxfield said:

We don’t gain another year in those 22 days.  We gain the possibility of acquiring an extra draft pick if Henderson is on the OD roster next year and finishes in the top 3 for ROY, which he can only do if he’s rookie-eligible.  To be eligible, we can’t bring him up until August 23 and he can’t accumulate more than 130 at bats (note: AB, not PA) by the end of the season.  

To gain an extra year, we’d need to delay his debut by at least 13 days next year and he’d need to not finish in the top two for ROY.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, foxfield said:

All of this service time manipulation can be avoided by signing the players to long term deals.

That way you can have both, today and tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Your first statement is such bs, especially the payroll part, that I didn’t even the rest of the post.  When you start off with lies, there’s no need to give respect to the rest of the post.

SG, some of your own comments have been made at you, over the years. :)

• Confused 1

We may as well get used to the fact that big market teams, like Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers and the like are going to get the media coverage and publicity.  So what?   I was raised blue collar,  and I rather like it though  I worked white collar during my working years.  . Same for ball clubs.   The Orioles coming championships are going to be much sweeter because of  all the blood, sweat, and tears it took to get there.  

1 minute ago, Oriole1940 said:

We may as well get used to the fact that big market teams, like Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers and the like are going to get the media coverage and publicity.  So what?   I was raised blue collar,  and I rather like it though  I worked white collar during my working years.  . Same for ball clubs.   The Orioles coming championships are going to be much sweeter because of  all the blood, sweat, and tears it took to get there.  

Im okay with not trying to play large market.

Im not okay playing small market, when this market is clearly mid-market and been that way for decades.

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Just one of your many posts that are clueless.

Lol.  Clueless would be thinking that Buck cared more about the long term of the organization than winning the title he has failed to win. 

Clueless would be acting like Duq, especially after the TOr stuff, had more power than Buck.