Elias' first Draft

Satyr3206

Athletic redundancy, the ability to teach kids to hit, and the ability to pick players with plus make up, work ethic, and who they know their system will work on.  That's one thing I keep hearing around on each guy "he's a great guy", "works hard", 'crazy work ethic".  Granted, it's a lot of PR, but you don't get that all the time as consistently as I've seen it reported in recent years.  And then the one thing that no one talks about a ton, is that these guys are all pretty big, strong, athletic, and fast...... at every position, look at Adley.  Thats my main take away from watching a bunch of Norfolk games this year 1. they are big guys 2. they are all incredibly fast & athletic.   They believe in their ability to teach hitting and it's starting to show.  In 2 or three years we are looking at plus speed and defensive at almost every single position.  If the guys can hit, it's going to be a lot of fun to watch.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Gotta see how Henderson does but things are looking up for sure.  It’s impressive to see 2-3 picks from any draft reach the majors like brother @interlopersaid. The fact that Rutschman and Henderson have been ranked so high is incredible.  I do believe no two players from one single draft class have been ranked this high. 

Waiting for this thread to be hijacked about the drafts he didn’t mail in 3…2…1…..

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta see how Henderson does but things are looking up for sure.  It’s impressive to see 2-3 picks from any draft reach the majors like brother @interlopersaid. The fact that Rutschman and Henderson have been ranked so high is incredible.  I do believe no two players from one single draft class have been ranked this high. 

Waiting for this thread to be hijacked about the drafts he didn’t mail in 3…2…1…..

You realize the only reason Elias was able to pick these players was because Buck and Dan lead the team to the number one overall draft pick right? You pretty much have to give them as much credit for this draft as Elias, maybe even a little more? :)

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

You realize the only reason Elias was able to pick these players was because Buck and Dan lead the team to the number one overall draft pick right? You pretty much have to give them as much credit for this draft as Elias, maybe even a little more? :)

I know you are joking a bit, but you could replace AR with CJ Abrams and still felt pretty excited about the draft. Problem would then be you have Abrams, Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz all figuring out where to play. But, I kind of like having an impact catcher, which isn’t typical for any team to have. 

Welk and Fontana are two that may stick around another season and will need to improve.  Maverick Handley could still be a big league catcher. Still a few pitchers from 2019 floating around the system. I missing anyone? Johnny Rizer going to return from injury next year?

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I didnt like the Rutschman pick. Though Abrams or Witt were the better prospects. Looks like the correct pick was made though, still time for Witt to figure it out defensively.  And Abrams has debuted so he's not too far off either. 

Hard to argue it though as he was the consensus #1 that year.  It’s not like it was a reach.  Plus, with what I’ve seen from Adley, I actually love his catching presence on the field and in the lineup.

• Upvote 2

Good observations. Got me to thinking back on past recent drafts to compare. I ended up going as far back as 2004 (Wade Townsend #1, followed by Fiorentino and Bergeson, ouch!). Bottom line, basically two major league contributors (proven or on cusp) per year on average in those 15 years pre-2019. Here they are: Reimold, Hernandez, Britton, Wieters, Arrieta, Matusz, Joseph, Drake, Givens, Machado, Bundy, Davies, Gausman, Walker, Hader, Heim, Mancini, Brault, Yastrzemski, Scott, Means, Mountcastle, McKenna, Mullins, Vespi, Akin, Hays, DL Hall, G. Rodriguez, Rom. 

I'll give the same "solid" status to those ranked since then on Tony's top 21: 

2019: Rutschman, Henderson, Stowers, Ortiz, Hernaiz

2020: Kjerstad, Westburg, Mayo, Baumler

2021: Cowser, Norby

2022: Holliday, Beavers, Wagner, Fabian

That's 15 solid prospects over 4 years, almost double the previous draft yields if they all pan out. Some won't, but then others from the lower ranks may rise to fill the gaps, as they have in years past (8 out of 30 in the above list pre-2019 drafted in rounds 11-43).

Edited by now