What 3 moves would you make this off season (that are realistic)?

DocJJ

I have no idea why anyone is actually thinking a 4-5 year deal for 30+M for Rodon is even remotely realistic for this team. 

First of all, it would be dumb to do it but second of all, there is zero chance this organization would do that.

They also aren’t spending 35-45M for 2-3 years of an older arm.  It’s not happening.  

I suggested Abreu and that’s probably far fetched but he has been healthy and is a position player, which makes it more likely but even then, the commitment in years can’t be too many.  

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

I would like to see a trade with the Marlins or Brewers (this is the preference if Burnes--top target--or Woodruff is available). I would use one of: Santander, Mountcastle, and Mullins as the key major league piece along with a combination of prospects not named Henderson or Rodriguez, likely Hall and Ortiz or Westburg as the primary prospect pieces. 

The preference on the above trade would be to hold on to Mullins even with his offensive regression, he is still a very valuable player in CF. Assuming it was Santander and/or Mountcastle in the deal, I would then go out and sign Josh Bell to be a 1B/DH option. 

After that, for the third move, I'd add another veteran arm. That allows some of the backend rotation options (like Voth) to slide into the pen and provides a bit more certainty for injury. Perhaps it's just bringing back Lyles or someone else of similar ilk. 

Those moves would (assuming it's Santander in the aforementioned deal) would leave you with something this:

LINE-UP: Mullins (CF), Rutschman (C), Henderson (3B), Bell (1B/DH), Mountcastle (1B/DH), Stowers (RF), Hays (LF), Westburg/Ortiz/Urias (2B), Mateo (SS) - plus Cowser in the minors to come up sometime midseason and Vavra/McKenna/Handley?? plus one of the guys from the 2B mix (depending on who starts and who is traded) as a bench. 

ROTATION: Burnes, Rodriguez, Wells, Bradish, Kremer (with depth from Voth, Baumann, Zimmermann and the veteran depth guy mentioned above and Means eventually)

BULLPEN: Bautista, Tate, Perez, Baker, Akin, Vespi, Gillaspie, Krehbiel, Voth, etc.

A top end starter really solidifies the rotation and should help take some pressure off the bullpen which certainly seemed to get a bit worn down in September. Given a 4th move, I would look to add a piece to the pen to stabilize that unit a bit more.

Having Rodriguez in the majors and a full year of Adley and Henderson should make a world of difference. I'd like to see more consistent playing time for Stowers and clearing guys like Aguilar off the roster helps (as long as we don't bring someone else in). And adding in Bell I think helps replace some of the power/offense lost by moving Santander. He did only hit 17 HRs this year and struggled in San Diego, but that may help his price a bit. Even with that, he still ended the year with a 128 combined OPS+, better than Santander, and save a struggle in the shortened 2020 season has been 24% better than average offensively each of the last three FULL seasons and has shown to be a solid OBP hitter. 

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have no idea why anyone is actually thinking a 4-5 year deal for 30+M for Rodon is even remotely realistic for this team. 

First of all, it would be dumb to do it but second of all, there is zero chance this organization would do that.

They also aren’t spending 35-45M for 2-3 years of an older arm.  It’s not happening.  

I suggested Abreu and that’s probably far fetched but he has been healthy and is a position player, which makes it more likely but even then, the commitment in years can’t be too many.  

Just curious, why do you think Rodon would be so dumb vs Stroman last year? 1-2 more years and $5M more per year seems very reasonable for his resume, and the 4-5 years works for our window. 

It's so hard to know what's really going on behind the scenes...

1. Trade a few of our bats and maybe DL to Milwaukee or Florida for a starter

2. Add a big FA bat at 1B/OF/DH

3. Extend the future, starting with long term contracts for Adley and Gunnar.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just curious, why do you think Rodon would be so dumb vs Stroman last year? 1-2 more years and $5M more per year seems very reasonable for his resume, and the 4-5 years works for our window. 

Health..reliability

The best ability in sports is availability.

Rodon has struggled to be available throughout his whole career.

Is Rodon the better pitcher?  Most likely yes. But talent and performance isn’t the question here.

And it’s more like 10-15M per year more.(at least the numbers being discussed here)

Now, I will say if the rest of the league feels the same way and he’s available for a 2/40-50 deal, that’s different.  But that’s not likely.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

There's no way on Verlander.  I think this team understands it's window with some key role players+ (Mullins/Santander/Hays/Mountcastle), and before some other guys get expensive that they'd want to be franchise guys (Adley/Gunner) that a 5 year deal for a pitcher would make sense.  And again, this is a new regime that's been told we can spend.  Understand we don't know until we see it, but I think the FO has been taking Elias's advice.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

What do you think Verlander will cost?

2 years 75-80 mil total … he has a 2023 player option right now for 25 mil with Houston .. Scherzer got three years but Verlander will be 40.. doubt he gets 3 

If a one year deal it will probably be 45 mil or so imho 

Just now, tntoriole said:

2 years 75-80 mil total … he has a 2023 player option right now for 25 mil with Houston .. Scherzer got three years but Verlander will be 40.. doubt he gets 3 

If a one year deal it will probably be 45 mil or so imho 

I wouldnt mind signing him for 2 years. But, deep pocket teams will probably go 3 for him.

Even a 1 year one deal at 45, I dont see this team pulling the trigger.

1) Trade Mountcastle to Miami for Pablo Lopez (other pieces added to either side as necessary to get it done).

2) Sign a replacement 1B to a 2 or 3 year contract- Bell, Abreu, Rizzo, Mancini, etc. (Bell or Rizzo would probably be my preferences due to them not being RHBs)

3) Sign Bassitt or Syndergaard to a 2 or 3 year deal.

18 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

a 5 year deal for a pitcher would make sense

Maybe, but Rodon definitely ain't the guy, at least for a small-mid market team like the Orioles. 2022 was the very first time in his time in his career that he ever reached 30 starts. In the prior 5 seasons, he missed at least 25% of his starts in every single year, and over half of his starts in 3 of those 5 years, and he put up a combined 4.45 ERA/97 ERA+ in the first 4 of those 5 years.

5 years at $30-35 million per year for Rodon legitimately has the potential to make the Ubaldo contract look like a bargain. 

48 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Extend the future, starting with long term contracts for Adley and Gunnar.

I wouldn't really consider this a move per the spirit of this thread, but I completely agree that it should be a top priority. Atlanta has the right idea- they have a ridiculously good young talent core locked up on relatively low-risk, team-friendly deals until the late 2020s thanks to their willingness to strike early and decisively. That is a model I would like the Orioles to follow.

I'd be happy to package Hays and Mountcastle, but I don't think they would fetch much in return to be frank.  

Not sure why people want to trade Santander- at times, he was the only guy who could hit for us...  Maybe we can teach him to play first base?   ("It's very hard"- Moneyball).

While a backup catcher who could hit a little would be nice, the reality is that they don't exist!  Most teams starting catchers can't hit!  Contreras will NOT be content to back up somewhere...  

Agree that Rodon has major injury risk.  I just liked that he is 28, has great stuff, and is left-handed.   But I'm rethinking my original post- I think there's too much risk there....

1 minute ago, DocJJ said:

I'd be happy to package Hays and Mountcastle, but I don't think they would fetch much in return to be frank.  

Not sure why people want to trade Santander- at times, he was the only guy who could hit for us...  Maybe we can teach him to play first base?   ("It's incredibly hard"- Moneyball).

While a backup catcher who could hit a little would be nice, the reality is that they don't exist!  Most teams starting catchers can't hit!  Contreras will NOT be content to back up somewhere...  

Agree that Rodon has major injury risk.  I just liked that he is 28, has great stuff, and is left-handed.   But I'm rethinking my original post- I think there's too much risk there....