Is Jose Abreu a worthy target?

Frobby

27 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

IMO, you are half right..NO!! Two right handed first basemen?.how many HR's in Maybe 10 next year if he plays at Camden, below average D, Old, $16 mill last year ??

If you are going to pay close to 16 mill, the better option in Rizzo,  3 years younger, lefty, power

Rizzo has another year on his contract at 16m but he can opt out.   I can't see why he would though.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we’re only handing out 1 year deals then our market is Mancini and Aguilar, if we want a RH 1B/DH bat. 

Of course, I would want Abreu, but I think Elias sits tight, and sees what we have around deadline time. Aguilar on a milb deal is a possibility. 

Maybe Yuli too.    I believe Houston in part wanted Trey as a Yuli age cliff hedge, but he rebounded enough late in the season to be inked into Dusty's lineup.    

Instead of Abreu why not Joc Pederson as a primary DH, part time OF. He's a FA, He made $6M last year and put up .274/.353/.521 with 23 HRs and 19 2Bs in 380 ABs for the Giants.

He'll play 2023 as a 31 year Old.  Why not give him 2/20 with an incentive laden option for a 3rd year. See if he can hit the Warehouse.

Leave Mountcastle at 1B and see if he bounces back. 

Re-signing Joc Pederson makes sense for Giants — but only under certain conditions - The Athletic

Edited by Jim'sKid26
Backup info.

47 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Instead of Abreu why not Joc Pederson as a primary DH, part time OF. He's a FA, He made $6M last year and put up .274/.353/.521 with 23 HRs and 19 2Bs in 380 ABs for the Giants.

He'll play 2023 as a 31 year Old.  Why not give him 2/20 with an incentive laden option for a 3rd year. See if he can hit the Warehouse.

Leave Mountcastle at 1B and see if he bounces back. 

Re-signing Joc Pederson makes sense for Giants — but only under certain conditions - The Athletic

Sounds like a great thread starter.

1 hour ago, AlbNYfan said:

Just saw somewhere??? that he will opt out....not sure the reliability of the source. My no on Abreu in any case. 

Jim Bowden was the first to report a couple of days ago that Rizzo is expected to opt out.

I think Camden Yards should be an attractive option to him if he won't be playing in NY.

• Upvote 1

His decline in power is a problem  and if this was before the wall moved I would have said the change from playing in Chicago to coming to Camden could eliminate that.   However with the new wall I don’t like adding any player whose power is dropping because it should just get worse with new wall.  

Fangraphs is starting its annual crowdsourcing project for FA contracts and lumped together the following players, described as “a group of infielders, some of whom occasionally see time in the outfield”: José Abreu, Josh Bell, Brandon Belt, Matt Carpenter, Brandon Drury, Adam Frazier, Yuli Gurriel and Trey Mancini.  They have Abreu projected for 2.2 fWAR next year, based on early Steamer600 projections.  
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/contract-crowdsourcing-2022-23-ballot-1-of-11/