Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

I would prefer to watch Urias, Stowers, and Vavra over Frazier and O'Hearn.

I also don't want to see Westburg and Cowser blocked by these stopgaps.

Can't James McCann start a couple games at 1B? He played there a bit last season. He has a career .777 OPS against LHP...

I also think Urias should be playing 5-6 days a week. The man has 5.6 rWAR over his first 690 career ABs for god's sake.

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Not really, the Givens and McCann deals received overwhelmingly positive responses.

Exactly. I think most people call them as they see them. I liked the Givens deal and had no issue with McCann since he was injured a bunch last year and is a good bounce back candidate.

Besides the Frazier move, none of the rest of his moves really matter all that much. Gibson is Lyles, maybe better, but basically the same kind of starter. 

The entire offseason has been treading water vs what we were told to expect by Elias. 

He's been shopping in the bargain bin all winter and most of us thought this was the year he would  actually go out and add those impact players that would announce the Orioles were legitimate contenders. 

Unfortunately, we're getting O'Hearn types and while I get the people that say he's just AAA depth with a chance to make the team with injuries, I'm concerned that Elias has every intent on O'Hearn not only making the team, but probably getting 370-425 PAs this year.

Elias still can makes some trades that could bring an impact player, but so far his offseason has been an F since he did not get either of the things he needed in a #1-2 starter and a MOO. 

Hopefully he will still get it done.

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

I hear you.  I was a bit snarky.  Overwhelmingly positive, yes.  But there were "people" (as SG said) who had different thoughts.  There were some people questioning McCann as not clearly better than Chirinos (i.e. an upgrade) and/or we should have gone down another path instead.  I didn't go through the Givens thread.

My general point is that everyone has an opinion.  Good, bad, thoughtful, lazy, and everything in between.  And taking shots as leadership is always in vogue.  Destroying is simpler than creating.

What does destroying vs creating have anything to do with people's conversations here? I haven't seen a single person asking for Elias to be fired or to tear it all down. Most of the people here have been very supportive of how Elias has rebuilt this franchise. 

Saying all that, now he's at the next phase of being a GM and that's taking the next step to being a true contender and so far this offseason he's failed. Just because I like things he's done in the past doesn't mean I'm going to turn a blind eye to the bad offseason so far.

This offseason has brought nothing be reclamation projects or water treading with the possible exception of Givens making the bullpen stronger. Elias himself said he wanted a #1-#3 pitcher and MOO and has gotten neither. 

The only good news is we have six weeks of potential trading to get there before spring training.

It's ok to be critical. It's not personal, and I personally applauded the Givens move and liked the McCann move overall. Gibson is fine as a Lyles replacement. 

But the needle has not moved this offseason. That's disappointing.

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would depend on what the contract Elias signed looked like.

I'm guessing there is a mother of a no compete clause in there if he quits.

Just an assumption of 5 years based on past GM contracts.  Kind of assume this is his last year under contract.  Just a gut feeling. 

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m all for adding depth…but depth doesn’t equal warm bodies. They added warm bodies, not good depth.

For example..I wanted Hays to become depth this year. Now maybe he will if/when Cowser is up but for now, he’s not and I think that’s a bad plan.

I don’t  see good depth on this team right now, at least in terms of “proven players”

Some of the starters people want aren’t proven either though. If you look at MLB benches you aren’t getting anything special.  They are in that spot for a reason. 

Last year you had Chirinos, Nevin, Owings, etc. The bench is superior this year plus the prospects are a year older and in a position to help unlike last year. I’m well aware of how you and others feel about Frazier but he is capable of being a starting second baseman. McCann is a significant upgrade over Chirinos. Not dealing Mateo/Urias improves the depth. I don’t know what they will get from O’Hearn but I can see the logic in the move. Clearly they have created a lineup with better options than last year. Still have Vavra in the organization. 

Who are the Orioles are in August will be different from April. 

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Exactly. I think most people call them as they see them. I liked the Givens deal and had no issue with McCann since he was injured a bunch last year and is a good bounce back candidate.

Besides the Frazier move, none of the rest of his moves really matter all that much. Gibson is Lyles, maybe better, but basically the same kind of starter. 

The entire offseason has been treading water vs what we were told to expect by Elias. 

He's been shopping in the bargain bin all winter and most of us thought this was the year he would  actually go out and add those impact players that would announce the Orioles were legitimate contenders. 

Unfortunately, we're getting O'Hearn types and while I get the people that say he's just AAA depth with a chance to make the team with injuries, I'm concerned that Elias has every intent on O'Hearn not only making the team, but probably getting 370-425 PAs this year.

Elias still can makes some trades that could bring an impact player, but so far his offseason has been an F since he did not get either of the things he needed in a #1-2 starter and a MOO. 

Hopefully he will still get it done.

I just can’t see O’Hearn getting that many at bats. If he does it would mean he is pounding the ball. 

Hyde is going to have to find time to play Urias/Mateo. Santander will be a DH, Adley, Stowers, plus when they rest other guys. I just don’t see how that many at bats would be there. 

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Some of the starters people want aren’t proven either though. If you look at MLB benches you aren’t getting anything special.  They are in that spot for a reason. 

Last year you had Chirinos, Nevin, Owings, etc. The bench is superior this year plus the prospects are a year older and in a position to help unlike last year. I’m well aware of how you and others feel about Frazier but he is capable of being a starting second baseman. McCann is a significant upgrade over Chirinos. Not dealing Mateo/Urias improves the depth. I don’t know what they will get from O’Hearn but I can see the logic in the move. Clearly they have created a lineup with better options than last year. Still have Vavra in the organization. 

Who are the Orioles are in August will be different from April. 

I don’t see some superior bench.  Not sure why you keep saying that. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I just can’t see O’Hearn getting that many at bats. If he does it would mean he is pounding the ball. 

Hyde is going to have to find time to play Urias/Mateo. Santander will be a DH, Adley, Stowers, plus when they rest other guys. I just don’t see how that many at bats would be there. 

We shall see. They found a lot of PAs for Odor even after they were contending, and he was terrible. Until Elias/Hyde proves otherwise, we have to assume vets will gets their PAs on their watch. 

I hope we have better options than O'Hearn at 1B/DH, but for now, I'd pencil him onto the 26th man roster with ample playing time against right-handers.