Not an April Fools Joke - Lewin Diaz Back, O'Hearn DFA

Yardball85

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone is of the mind that they are tanking.  This clearly isn't a team put together with the goal of picking early in the draft.

There was definitely someone who said they were tanking this season. It was what first made me concerned that people went into this off-season with unhealthy expectations. 

from what I understand O’hearn is indeed still owed 1.4 million this season. I suspect the Royals are on the hook for a good portion of that. But the genius part of this, is that because any team that would claim him would assume the salary. So the orioles are virtually assured that he ends up as depth in Norfolk. Another brilliant play by Elias. 

5 minutes ago, theobird said:

from what I understand O’hearn is indeed still owed 1.4 million this season. I suspect the Royals are on the hook for a good portion of that. But the genius part of this, is that because any team that would claim him would assume the salary. So the orioles are virtually assured that he ends up as depth in Norfolk. Another brilliant play by Elias. 

Not sure I get this unless you're making a joke.   The Orioles assumed the 1.4M salary when they acquired O'Hearn.   It's true that there's a good chance another team is unwilling to pick up that 1.4M which means the Orioles are the ones stuck with the contract.  For now.

Folks keep wanting to believe that the Royals are picking up a chunk of the salary.   It certainly wasn't reported that way.   The only money reported in the deal was "cash considerations" going from the Orioles to the Royals.  That cash is conditional on something, most likely whether O'Hearn makes the team and how long he's on the roster.   Not one word about cash of any kind going from the Royals to the Orioles.   No one wants to believe it.

Edited by RZNJ

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK?

I think whomever it was is running with a different definition than I am.

Yeah most likely. Sorry, I wasn’t talking about you or anyone specific. I was more making a comment on the general vibe of this message board this off-season. It makes me feel morally obligated to balance things out with a little more positivity. That’s really all I’m here for, so don’t mind me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, theobird said:

You and I have different definitions of the word brilliant.