Maybe Frazier can play

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s extremely unlikely he brings back anything of real value. 

I’d say it depends what kind of season he’s having and whether there’s a team with a need.   If he’s on pace for a 2-3 WAR season there could be some value there.  If he’s repeating 2022, then no.  Like I said, I’ll worry about it in July.  I don’t think his potential trade deadline trade value was much of a factor in the decision to sign him. 

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say it depends what kind of season he’s having and whether there’s a team with a need.   If he’s on pace for a 2-3 WAR season there could be some value there.  If he’s repeating 2022, then no.  Like I said, I’ll worry about it in July.  I don’t think his potential trade deadline trade value was much of a factor in the decision to sign him. 

Well he’s not likely to be having a good season and of course that not why he was acquired.

I agree trade was not the reason Frazier was signed.  He was signed for his veteran status and the possibility that he will bounce back.  The O's lose Mancini, Odor and Chirinos who all played veteran leadership roles last year.  Frazier hopefully can help the younger players this year, hit and play a good 2B.

But I do think any of the guys on one year contracts may be traded before the deadline   if prospects are showing they are ready to take the veterans spots.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do not think for a second that the FO had any illusions that Odor would put up a 2 win season last year.  He's only had one season worth even one rWAR since 2016.

I only said that they thought something towards that side of the spectrum might be an unlikely/possible scenario. It's amazing how you pick out and exaggerate small details on people's posts to start disagreements.

My whole point - which I clearly stated in the opening sentence of my post - was that the Orioles' primary goal in acquiring Odor was to tank! Not sure how you could reply with what you said unless your intention is simply to argue and read what you want to read. 

Edited by Brooks The Great

6 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I only said that they thought something towards that side of the spectrum might be an unlikely/possible scenario. It's amazing how you pick out and exaggerate small details on people's posts to start disagreements.

What did I exaggerate?  

I just showed the numbers.

If you had said replacement level I would have agreed with you.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree trade was not the reason Frazier was signed.  He was signed for his veteran status and the possibility that he will bounce back.  The O's lose Mancini, Odor and Chirinos who all played veteran leadership roles last year.  Frazier hopefully can help the younger players this year, hit and play a good 2B.

But I do think any of the guys on one year contracts may be traded before the deadline   if prospects are showing they are ready to take the veterans spots.

Don't forget the fact that he bats lefty.

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well he’s not likely to be having a good season and of course that not why he was acquired.

ZiPS has him with a 40% chance to be at 2.2 fWAR or higher.  So, maybe “not likely” is fair but it’s far from out of the question.  

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

ZiPS has him with a 40% chance to be at 2.2 fWAR or higher.  So, maybe “not likely” is fair but it’s far from out of the question.  

That’s 2.2 over the course of 162 games. So at the deadline, worth what? 1.5ish WAR And likely defense driven?

Yea no, that’s not going to fetch much at all. We would be lucky to get a Givens deal.

On 1/22/2023 at 8:57 PM, wildcard said:

But if we trade Frazier, who's going to be the veteran leadership guy?