Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

I think this is solid.

1. Hernaiz was not going to see the light of day in this organization with Henderson, Ortiz, Westburg, Vavra, Norby, etc in front of him. 
  2. Dealing from depth without sacrificing the top guys.
  3. The knock against Irvin is the low K-rate, but he threw a lot of innings, is under control until 2027, very low WHIP.

Decent pitcher that hopefully we can work with a bit. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well then we shouldn't have him pitch on the road, right?

I'm not seeing the hate for this trade.  We've got a surplus of middle infield types, it was getting crowded already before we decided to draft Holliday.  Hernaiz was probably on the fringe behind guys like Ortiz and Westburg.  

I agree that Irvin isn't a fantastic talent but I don't think Hernaiz had much of a future here by the way things seem to be shaking out.

A lot of it is because many people hoped we would make significant acquisitions to improve the top of the rotation, and clearly that hasn't happened and isn't going to happen.

So while on its merits this trade may be anywhere from "meh" to "maybe we got decent rotation depth and value for our #17 prospect, pretty good deal" depending on your perspective -- symbolically it means means more to people.   Further indication that we are not bringing in outside talent to significantly improve the team.    And that's where the hate comes in.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Think we were only at 39 should be full now.

I guess this is the additional depth for our rotation the Wacha thread can be closed now.

Funny you mention Wacha. His 2022 season was a comp for Irvin's on Baseball Savant. 

I like it. It seems smart to me.

Hernaiz was a long shot to survive the gauntlet of prospects ahead of him.

Some of Irvin's numbers I like:

• 4 years of team control
  • 1.16 WHIP last year
  • less hits (174) than innings pitched (181)
  • 3.56 SO/W ratio 
  • 30 starts, 181 innings suggests an average of 6 innings a start
  • Upvote 4

I went to his splits expecting him to have put up poor numbers against the Astros, but interestingly he put up a .642 OPS in 37 innings against Houston last year!

The only teams he got torched by were all in the NL East - Phillies, Mets, Nats and Braves all > 1.000 OPS against, 5th highest was .849 against the Mariners.

Looked like he had extreme difficulty getting through the first inning.  Over 8 ERA in 1st inning and then settled down sporting less than a 4 ERA in every other inning.

My first thought was that he's just like every other pitcher the O's have low K rate and low BB rate, so why bother?  But then  Elias and Sig obviously have a type, and while this one doesn't get the juices flowing it adds more stability to a rotation that had was banking on a lot of upside bets.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

A lot of it is because many people hoped we would make significant acquisitions to improve the top of the rotation, and clearly that hasn't happened and isn't going to happen.

So while on its merits this trade may be anywhere from "meh" to "maybe we got decent rotation depth and value for our #17 prospect, pretty good deal" depending on your perspective -- symbolically it means means more to people.   Further indication that we are not bringing in outside talent to significantly improve the team.    And that's where the hate comes in.

Well THOSE people are just silly. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Are they done making moves now? 

I would be very surprised Irvin is not in the rotation on Opening Day.  

Gibson

Kremer

Bradish

Irvin 

Grod/Wells. 

GRod has a spot ready as long as he doesn't blow it in Spring Training. I think Wells is in the bullpen. Gibson is the #1 based on experience. Kremer gets home opener. 

I think Irvin has a higher upside than Gibson does at this point of his career so I like this trade.

This looks like a steal at the moment until Hernaiz adds some weight and becomes a slugging OF. A's may eventually win this trade but for now I like Irvin. 

• Upvote 1