What's this team made of?

Jim'sKid26

Now that the off season is winding down and pitchers and catchers will report to spring training soon, what is your take on the composition of this team?

Pitching: This looks to be a version of the wild-wild west. Open competition for at least 3 SP spots, no real #1, and we hope against hope that the bullpen will repeat a performance that was accomplished in contradistinction to nearly all pre-season predictions in 2022.

Defense: Lots to like here, but.....can Mateo continue to be consistent? Where does the reigning GG winner at 3B play? Who's the starting 2B? Did moving the wall back in LF expose some defensive liabilities?

Offensive: Can this team score enough runs to compete as it is currently constructed? Can Gunnar hit LHP? Have we seen the best of Mountcastle....in 2021? Which version of Mullins in 2023? Can Cowser hit ML pitching and where's he going to play?

Management: Show me the MONEY! Buyers or sellers at the deadline.....and that goes for the Angelos Family as well? Can we get over the idea that good starting pitching is expensive and make an acquisition that makes the team better? Apparently everyone agrees that being the owner "sucks" when the payroll is at or near the bottom of the league. At least they changed the food vendor at OPACY!

What are your thoughts on this team going into the 2023 season?

The roster construction reminds me a bitof the builds from the 2012-2016 years.

Good defense. Good bullpen. Pretty good but not great offense. And a rotation that can be decent but doesn't have star power.   

This offense won't hit HRs quite like those teams did but may have better OBPs. And of course with the prospect wave we hope this group can surpass the ceiling and/or the competitive longevity of that group. 

• Upvote 2

My thoughts are: just win, baby!

I think you’ve identified a lot of the questions.   It will be fun learning the answers.   One thing you can bet on - some unexpected things will happen, some good and some bad.  Hopefully more the former.   I’m more than ready for the circus to come to town!

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Now that the off season is winding down and pitchers and catchers will report to spring training soon, what is your take on the composition of this team?

Pitching: This looks to be a version of the wild-wild west. Open competition for at least 3 SP spots, no real #1, and we hope against hope that the bullpen will repeat a performance that was accomplished in contradistinction to nearly all pre-season predictions in 2022.

Defense: Lots to like here, but.....can Mateo continue to be consistent? Where does the reigning GG winner at 3B play? Who's the starting 2B? Did moving the wall back in LF expose some defensive liabilities?

Offensive: Can this team score enough runs to compete as it is currently constructed? Can Gunnar hit LHP? Have we seen the best of Mountcastle....in 2021? Which version of Mullins in 2023? Can Cowser hit ML pitching and where's he going to play?

Management: Show me the MONEY! Buyers or sellers at the deadline.....and that goes for the Angelos Family as well? Can we get over the idea that good starting pitching is expensive and make an acquisition that makes the team better? Apparently everyone agrees that being the owner "sucks" when the payroll is at or near the bottom of the league. At least they changed the food vendor at OPACY!

What are your thoughts on this team going into the 2023 season?

Each category you cite the things that could not work out as well.  Here are scenario possibilities too..

Pitching:Grayson could be Rookie pitcher of the year and be a legitimate ace by the time his innings limit. Means could be back with a vengeance by then. Kremer steps a step forward not back.. Gibson is fired up by 1 year prove me deal and Irvin eats innings 

Defense: Mateo wins GG and his bat improves enough.  Gunnar explodes at 3rd. Urias and Frazier split 2b with excellent defense and Frazier spells corner outfielders when need a lefty matchup or Santander a DH .  Rutschman wins GG .  Mullins is GG capable 

offense:Mountcastle roars back to form , Henderson explodes, Hays has his best season, Adley becomes more and more powerful, Frazier ends up proving critics wrong 

Management:Elias wins GM of Year, Hyde wins Manager of year, Holt fixes our new acquisitions considerably,  Angelos sell the team in offseason 

Glass half full!!! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

The roster construction reminds me a bitof the builds from the 2012-2016 years.

Good defense. Good bullpen. Pretty good but not great offense. And a rotation that can be decent but doesn't have star power.   

This offense won't hit HRs quite like those teams did but may have better OBPs. And of course with the prospect wave we hope this group can surpass the ceiling and/or the competitive longevity of that group. 

I agree as it appears to be a Duquette construction sans the $$ fa pitcher (Ubaldo, Yovanni, Cobb).  Work on the fringes to supplement the core. 

3 hours ago, HOF19 said:

To me this is a franchise that is HOPING that a lot if the young players show marked improvement .

I think they are hoping Mountcastle, Hays, and Mullins all have better years at the plate and Santander maintains at least his level of offense.   The fact that they didn't move one of those guys would suggest as much.  This season will depend on those four guys a much as anything.