Melanie Newman will not be doing the Apple TV baseball broadcast

Going Underground

On 7/4/2023 at 5:30 AM, Etch said:

Incompetence is gender blind.

True, but I would not call Newman incompetent. If she's unprepared, didn't know the players, and didn't know baseball at all, then I'd say she was incompetent. She's just not very good at describing the action on radio and her back and forth with Palmer gets weird and downright creepy at times on TV.

Saying all that, it is worth mentioning once again that she is very good in studio and if she focused on that role she could be an asset to the broadcast team.

My current gripe with MASN is their teaming up with Tik Tok to make the Communist Chinese government’s data collection puppet look like a patriotic American institution.  Makes the Cuba visit look relatively harmless.

Edited by NCRaven
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

My current gripe with MASN is their teaming up with Tik Tok to make the Communist Chinese government’s data collection puppet look like a patriotic American institution.  Makes the Cuba visit look relatively harmless.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470qfk4ireelhwql3c1w

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I’m sure MASN would take ad money from Putin to brag about his human rights record, if he were willing to pay it.  

I don’t really care about the Tik Tok propaganda ads any more than I care about the Draft Kings propaganda ads or the Truist propaganda ads.   They’re all played so frequently that they have the opposite effect of what’s intended.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m sure MASN would take ad money from Putin to brag about his human rights record, if he were willing to pay it.  

I don’t really care about the Tik Tok propaganda ads any more than I care about the Draft Kings propaganda ads or the Truist propaganda ads.   They’re all played so frequently that they have the opposite effect of what’s intended.  

Have to admit, I chuckle at the Charles Barkley Draft King spot.  “I love you young Chuck.”

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Have to admit, I chuckle at the Charles Barkley Draft King spot.  “I love you young Chuck.”

Yes, that one’s okay.  The ones where they’re spraying champagne all over the living room are completely pointless.  

On the other hand, I may just throw a shoe through my television the next time that middle aged Truist banker says “and I’m just 20 years old!” and everyone laughs like it’s the funniest joke they ever heard.   It wasn’t even funny the first time!

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, that one’s okay.  The ones where they’re spraying champagne all over the living room are completely pointless.  

On the other hand, I may just throw a shoe through my television the next time that middle aged Truist banker says “and I’m just 20 years old!” and everyone laughs like it’s the funniest joke they ever heard.   It wasn’t even funny the first time!

And the Truist woman's laugh is absolutely the most annoying & obnoxious sounding laugh I have ever heard.

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but I would not call Newman incompetent. If she's unprepared, didn't know the players, and didn't know baseball at all, then I'd say she was incompetent. She's just not very good at describing the action on radio and her back and forth with Palmer gets weird and downright creepy at times on TV.

Saying all that, it is worth mentioning once again that she is very good in studio and if she focused on that role she could be an asset to the broadcast team.

I hear ya Tony but if you're given a job to do and you are lousy at it I think by definition that is incompetence. From the Cambridge Press. Incompetence:  lack of ability to do something successfully or as it should be done. 

Edited by Etch

On 7/6/2023 at 7:26 AM, Etch said:

Her call on the throw home with the infield in last night: "And the miss is off!" Now that's a head scratcher.

Haha, I saw that because I watched the highlights that MLB put out and couldn't help but wonder why on earth they would use that call of that play?

But, just to show that I'm an equal opportunity critic, last night on Gunnar's 2nd HR Kevin Brown says "You will never see that baseball again!", just as the ball lands beyond the fence.  That was a very strange call as well.

35 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Haha, I saw that because I watched the highlights that MLB put out and couldn't help but wonder why on earth they would use that call of that play?

But, just to show that I'm an equal opportunity critic, last night on Gunnar's 2nd HR Kevin Brown says "You will never see that baseball again!", just as the ball lands beyond the fence.  That was a very strange call as well.

i think Kevin was just trying to think of a creative way to state that the HR was a no-doubter.  Not his best work but at least you knew it was gone (and would have even on radio).

54 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Brown has become very prone to homer hyperbole this year. He can be very competent, but it's like someone told him to up the homer angle or he's just so excited to be calling a good team, that he's done it a lot more this year. 

His worse call of the year was "Ohtani who?" 

I still think he does a good job overall, but I'm not a big fan of the fanboyish calls on occasion. 

25 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

BTW it looks like tonight is another Apple TV game, which I had not realized before this morning.

I'm getting really tired of this can't watch games thanks to Apple and NBC nonsense. 

I think I may have to see if I can hitch a ride to Treasure Island tonight.  

27 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

i think Kevin was just trying to think of a creative way to state that the HR was a no-doubter.  Not his best work but at least you knew it was gone (and would have even on radio).

I think he was being influenced by the fact that the RF barely moved.