The Rotation

Roll Tide

Grayson definitely looks like he has some things to work on, but his spring training numbers still look a lot better than Wells and Voth's so far. If it weren't for service time, GRod should probably be in the rotation if begrudgingly, but they may have a reasonable excuse now to start him at AAA.

Grayson has nothing left to prove in AAA.  He needs to learn the rest at the ML level.  He’s throwing 97-98 so he seems fine physically.  Even before the last strain, he looked like a fastball changeup guy to me.  Hmmm.  That sounds a lot like Kevin Gausman.   He needs ML innings and he’s got to locate the fastball.  The curve doesn’t look bad at times but he should concentrate on what he does best.   I said before, I get more of a #3 vibe than a #1 but it’s time to feed him to the sharks and see what happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Grayson definitely looks like he has some things to work on, but his spring training numbers still look a lot better than Wells and Voth's so far. If it weren't for service time, GRod should probably be in the rotation if begrudgingly, but they may have a reasonable excuse now to start him at AAA.

I don’t think they are looking for excuses.  They’d rather have him in the rotation if he’s ready.  But he hasn’t been too impressive his last two outings.   He may need to start in AAA if his command doesn’t sharpen up a bit before spring training ends.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

GRod should get another chance in 5 days to go 5 innings.  It would be his last start of ST.

And keep getting chances once the season begins.  If Voth or Wells were looking lights out I might be thinking differently.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they are looking for excuses.  They’d rather have him in the rotation if he’s ready.  But he hasn’t been too impressive his last two outings.   He may need to start in AAA if his command doesn’t sharpen up a bit before spring training ends.  

I think they're playing moneyball on this like they have with everything else. Now the hope is that he shows he's a potential ROY candidate, and the moneyball play would be to start him right away and shoot for the draft pick. That's the best case scenario. But it's not looking that way so far and if so, then I think they wouldn't mind excuses to stash him for a few weeks even if he may be slightly better than Wells or Voth.

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

And keep getting chances once the season begins.  If Voth or Wells were looking lights out I might be thinking differently.   

Wells has  7 shutout innings in Fenway. One start and one relief appearance.

Gibson  4 starts, 28.2 IP in Fenway with a 1.57  ERA.

Irvin has never pitched there.

The other candidates performance is pretty ugly.

Edited by wildcard

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wells has  7 shutout innings in Fenway. One start and one relief appearance.

Gibson  4 starts, 28.2 IP in Fenway with a 1.57  ERA.

Irvin has never pitched there.

The other candidates performance is pretty ugly.

Please tell me what you’re trying to say.  That based on 7 innings, Tyler Wells should make the rotation so he can pitch in the first series at Fenway?

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Please tell me what you’re trying to say.  That based on 7 innings, Tyler Wells should make the rotation so he can pitch in the first series at Fenway?

I am saying the O's may have not made their decision yet and they will probably consider everything.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And you believe that 7 innings should be part of that decision?

I believe that everything should be part of decision.  How the starters are pitching now, how the have pitched at Fenway,  how they have pitched vs the likely Red Sox lineup.    Elias/Hyde/Holt do look at matchup.    Hyde has talked about that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Wells and Voth both had success getting big league hitters out last year, Wells was good two years ago as well. If they're all struggling, you go with the guys who have already done it. 

I want Grayson to succeed, and I want to see Grayson in the big leagues...but if he's having trouble with the shape and location of his breaking pitches, it's probably better for him long term to work on them in triple-A, where the Orioles can tell him to throw a lot of CB/Sliders regardless of result

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I believe that everything should be part of decision.  How the starters are pitching now, how the have pitched at Fenway,  how they have pitched vs the likely Red Sox lineup.    Elias/Hyde/Holt do look at matchup.    Hyde has talked about that.

So then yes, you feel 7 innings should carry weight.  You truly are the king of the small sample size.